Standby Rates?

benedmonds

Does anyone charge companies standby rates to ensure they have a team ready for call outs?

How does it work? Do you charge a nightly fee for a team to be sober and on call ready to respond?

Do you just have a daily/nightly rate for when the forecast is bad?  Or a lower rate all year?

How much are employees paid to be on standby, like the 5th emergency service..

Hi Ben, we do a lot of call out for our county council, they don’t pay us a stand by rate, that said they pay us very good money for responding. The other thing is we get rewarded with planned work, my lads love the varied works that highway’s contracting gives them, it varies from roadside trees to river clearance works. They are a good organisation to work for.

• Like 1

One of my clients has asked if we would do it and I  recently had to do make up a number for tender.  Currently I just ask guys who are available and call round hoping they will come in.. It would be nice formalize it, and be able to pay them something to ensure they are sober and ready to work if required.

44 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

it is not a cheap option to retain a work force on standby, so

If a standby rate is paid then the  rate paid when called out is usually considerably less. This is true for the employer, employees & the client I guess

Whats not cheap?

For team of 2 ... £50 a night? But only for high risk days..

Or £10 a week but 52 days a year?

56 minutes ago, huskykev said:

Was on call with utility work last year, weekends only. €25 a night and double time on a call out. €75 to stay off the beer for the weekend and live 2 miles from the yard, take a company van home.

Similar to what I used to get for standby/call out, but that was 11 years ago, and a different trade.

£25/night plus £15/per callout. You could go to bed and wake up £25 better off for doing nothing, or once I jumped in the van I'd earned £40 before I'd turned the key, if I got back home and got called out again it was another £15, all call out pay was double time, this was Upto 2009. At the time my basic wage was about £26k, I could just top £40k if I did my standby and picked up holiday and sickness cover.

• Like 1