Trimming Trees

silbchris

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of trees at the back of my house which are now completely blocking out the sun. I recently got a chainsaw as I'm going to cut away a few of the larger branches in the hope this will help. I've been looking at a few respiratory masks like these and some safety goggles. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Or have ideas where I can get some effective ones which are relatively cheap. 

Cheers,

Chris

...and I'd recommend getting a professional to do the aerial work, i.e. cutting the larger branches off, as, with respect, too many amateurs / DIY'ers do themselves serious harm with chainsaws which can often bite the industry (professionals) on the posterior if the H&S Police get involved and lodge it as an industrial accident.  

regards, 

Paul

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

...and I'd recommend getting a professional to do the aerial work, i.e. cutting the larger branches off, as, with respect, too many amateurs / DIY'ers do themselves serious harm with chainsaws which can often bite the industry (professionals) on the posterior if the H&S Police get involved and lodge it as an industrial accident.  

regards, 

Paul

Hence the 2 rope thing ...

Goggles & respirator are a complete waste of time. Proper helmet with a visor is definitely recommended.

If you do not know what you are doing, do not try to operate a chainsaw up a tree off a ladder. Search chainsaw fails on You Tube and you will quickly realise that some gear & no idea can quickly lead to a trip to A&E or the morgue!

Aerial tree work should only be done by a properly trained operative.

Just as importantly check with your local authority that the trees you wish to "prune" are not protected or you reside in a conservation area. They may be your trees on your land and they might block your view or prevent you from getting that all round tan but if the are protected you cannot just chop and slash at them willy nilly if your council judges they have an amenity value to the community at large. Even the removal of one branch could lead to a potential prosecution and a fine!