Spear Cut

5 shires

Spear cutting is definately an experienced users cut only.
Been doing it for years with really small stuff.
Worked with a couple of old Skool guys who used it occasionally.
Seen one guy drop a huge hung up Lombardy pefectly on a drive way.
I use it very sparingly now.
(After the crown of a birch got thrown back at me by tension in the upper canopy).
[emoji106]

• Like 1

Never heard the term until recently but being doing this with our smaller hedgerow trees for years. Great way to get stuff down roadside without actually blocking the road. Just spear cut it off the bank to the ground below and mind the canopy as Mark mentions. They stay upright due to the surrounding trees and then you get down and pull them out from the base. 

• Like 3

Hi going back a few years now, we felled to waste 1000s of larch on several sites around the northwest and one block we did was a mix of larch and spruce, we suggested ring barking the larch and leaving them,but FC said no fell them, the whole job was a nightmare, a tree every 2mtrs and not a lot of room to get them down in one so it was hang up after hang up, and its not as if they where small trees either, trees  ranged from approx 450-750mm dbh so not small and topping out at 80-90ft or some would be even more, on this job i lernt a awful lot about spear cutting in a very short space of time and several things i can share with you are, all ways be on the safer side when you make your final cut, looking up before you make your cut and try and weigh up where that tree is going to go ? a 4 ft felling bar is much better for this type of work and in our case when we had cut several lengths of the bottom of the tree it was either still hung up in its original tree or it had fallen backwards in to another and then start again, one thing i do remember from this block was sitting there chatting at dinner time and saying if we had a day with out any hang ups it would be the 8th wounder of the world, we never had that day but we did have fewer hang ups as the job went on, so just be very careful when you are cutting bigger trees with this method, small trees and limbs will hurt big trees and limbs will kill, stat safe and as i have said many times, 5 minuets looking and thinking about about how and what to do is much better than 5 week off work, be careful,

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

It’s nothing knew, it’s what you do when you can’t be arsed going for the correct equipment and it’s a combination of fear, luck and skill! 

People call me lucky or crazy because they lack both the skill to perform such an advanced technique, and the imagination to conceive that someone might know something they don't.