UK flooding

spuddog0507

7 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Yeah the Teme,highest its ever been they reckon

My last place had the Stour behind it, fortunately there are flood/water meadows around the area. If the Stour goes into flood the flood gates open and flood the surrounding fields to save such things happening.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

My last place had the Stour behind it, fortunately there are flood/water meadows around the area. If the Stour goes into flood the flood gates open and flood the surrounding fields to save such things happening.

Sounds like a good system

Hi just been watching the news and all i can say is what a mess this country is really in, the footage from south Wales where rivers are above record levels and 1000s of homes and buisnes,s flooded out, and with further heavy rain forecast over the next 3 days this problem wont go away it will just make the situation much worse, we had record river levels on the river Wyre on sunday 9/2/20 and this week end thats just gone storm Dennis was not as bad for us this time but i think they have had there fair share down south now i think its high time that some money was spent on this problem.

Now can some one please explain how this works, the EA or back then it would of been the NRA they used to clean all the main ditches and rivers out round us, they spent 10s of thousands of pounds putting gates in from one field to another but in the early/mid 2000s all this ditch cleaning stopped and left to the land owner, one guy i do some vermin controll for has 4 farms and 2 of them are virtually under water along with 4 other neigbouring farms, when i was talking to him the other day he said he would be putting another claim in to DEFRA for flood damage and none use of land, so i asked how that worked and DEFRA have a flood fund with millions in it that is distributed out to farmers under a claim scheme for none use of land for agriculter due to flood damage, he then said this is the 5th year on the trot he has claimed and that figure is around the 50k mark, then he said it would cost about 20-30k to clean all the ditches out and get the water away, but 6 farms putting claims in out weighs the cleaning costs by fare, he all so said there is no logic left in the world but what do i care, who do you think pays for Audi Q7, Borris will be buying my next one ! He then went on to say the men in upper managment in these government organisations dont give a f - - k as long as it dont affect them and they get there big fat bonus but if they are going give me a big payout why should i bother, it was a eye opener for me that conversation,

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling