Home insurance - demands

benedmonds

What with the recent storm I had come up with a number of clients trying to claim on their insurance, what are the most difficult demands the insurance companies make.

I have had.

"I have a dangerous tree hanging over my house, can you come now?  but I need 3 written quotes before you do any work"

"The insurance will only pay to clear up the stuff on the ground. "  Not the rest of the now dangerous tree"

and I had some one cancel a quote this morning because:

"The tree had fallen into the neighbours, and the insurance says the neighbour has to pay for the clean up.." 

• Like 1

I'm waiting for an update re A's large birch that blew over three weeks ago across B's fence, garden and brick outbuilding, damaging the building.

Both insurers are denying liability.

B has already threatened legal action against his insurer and he is not a man to be trifled with; his name begins with Sir!

****ing insurance companies... the whole industry's a scam in my book.

• Like 2

We took a massive beech tree off/out of a house (it made a real mess, lucky nobody was hurt which is unusual in my experience of instances of tree/house interface). The tree belonged to the neighbour, but it was the affected householder’s insurance that paid (and the affected householder was a retired insurance loss-adjuster, so knew how the job works). 

Our work involved a crane etc and was pretty expensive (but nothing compared to repairing the house). The insurance company phoned me once they’d received our invoice (via the householder) questioning what proportion of our invoice covered arising removal, as they wouldn’t pay for that part of the job! I explained that we didn’t charge for arising removal, and it wasn’t something that could be separated out as we wouldn’t have been able to undertake the work if everything wasn’t shifted as it was craned out.

Sharks the lot of ‘em!!!

• Like 4

I've always refused outright to deal with insurance companies.

I make it clear to the client that they are paying me and it's up to them to deal with insurance companies.

I have adjusted phrasing in invoices before to help the client, so a £1000 job might be £990 to cut up a fallen tree and £10 to remove arisings etc.