HS2 GIVEN GO AHEAD

topchippyles

@Gimlet  yr not far wrong - there is Definately a sniff of hidden hands in this, in Town, every shit Hole tube station with old industrial land is getting a new pop up block of flats / apartments dropped on it. Obvs the idea is to make commuters of all of us, across the UK . God knows why anyone would want to live in such places tho'   K

2 hours ago, Gimlet said:

it'll extend the London commuter belt into the midlands and the north, with dormitory towns springing up along the route and an accompanying rise in property prices and a surge in urban migrants and second home owners from the capital. Boris loves all that. 

I've said this all along, none of it is for the benefit of anyone further north it's just about extending London. It says in one article I read that there will be capacity for 14 trains per hour in either direction, how many people do they think will be able to afford to use the service unless it is massively subsidised or they are on expenses. It makes me pee ginger thinking about what all that money could be used for to benefit all of society not just the money sector.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Khriss said:

Sadly also, if we let the Chinese build this for us, it would be finished by Thursday this week and coffee shops in by Saturday ? K

And they would have eaten all the newts, bats and badgers in the process. :)

On the flip side, governments are often criticised for not updating the country's infrastructure. Damned if they do, damned if they don't! As far as I'm concerned there should be a big fence near Watford Gap. Keep the buggers down there. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m not against infrastructure improvements be it road or rail, but when it starts to cost 10s of thousands to move hedges and reptiles, I can’t help but think the money could be better spent. Build the infrastructure and accept the environmental consequences or don’t build it.but how much cheaper would it be if the archeology and ecology were taken out of the equation. I think there is a lot of profiteering using those as an excuse

• Like 2

One of the biggest worries about new technology in a crowded environment is the danger of a major accident.

Occasional accidents are accepted where most trains are deemed to be of reasonable risk at reasonable proven speeds. 

But a good comparison would be Concorde which cost a similar fortune and actually had a tangible benefit by halving the flight time to New York.  But as well as the unforeseen problems with noise and runway length, it only needed one serious accident to stop the whole idea. 

Better to travel in more comfort safely and take a little longer.

• Like 2