Hydraulic repair norfolk

Marsh Monkey

We have used Pirtek, quick and efficient, but not cheap! Done a pipe on telehandler and tractor hedgecutter recently, but finding a decent agri mechanic probably your best bet, or if you are likely to need a lot of hoses doing, might pay to get your own machine. That's what I am currently looking into. Peter

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

When I was in gainful employment, we got ours done by Pirtek, can't say if they were good bad or indifferent but guess our maintenance guys used them for a reason!

Pirtek are a franchise, round here they're probably the most expensive place you can go.

Obviously, this is fully fitted onsite, someone I know paid something like £300/£400. If you took the hose off yourself and into the good local hydraulic shop it was more like £10/£20 for the hose.

They're not shy!

• Like 1

The best thing I ever did was buy a hose muncher and stock up with hose/fittings, with the time saved alone it must have payed for itself hundreds of times over. The hose is cheap as are the fittings, down time and finding a local hose smith where you are working is not.

Bob

1323286100_IMG_2584(1).thumb.JPG.144ae956ac2c06fc7560667f6e76b9b0.JPG

Flowfit do hoses pretty cheap delivered in a couple of days if it’s not a ‘need it yesterday’ job. But be careful with their online hose-builder as the fitting sizes default to a menu-spec so you can end up with odd ends if you aren’t careful. 

I keep toying with a hose crimper - will probably invest this year. 

36 minutes ago, scbk said:

Pirtek are a franchise, round here they're probably the most expensive place you can go.

Obviously, this is fully fitted onsite, someone I know paid something like £300/£400. If you took the hose off yourself and into the good local hydraulic shop it was more like £10/£20 for the hose.

They're not shy!

Forgot to say, I knew the pirtek guy, and I asked if there was ever a chance of a cheap hose for cash. He was telling me that not only is the van tracked, but the hose crimper in the back is fitted with a tracker too! Even at night, they knew where he was and what he was up to :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I keep toying with a hose crimper - will probably invest this year. 

Its a no brainer, on something like a 6` long hose that gets snagged you get the chance to repurpose it into say a 4` hose by putting another end on it, so even a chopped or damaged hose comes into play at some point. Try getting an end put on a hose at a hydraulic shop. its nigh on impossible around here.

Bob

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

Its a no brainer, on something like a 6` long hose that gets snagged you get the chance to repurpose it into say a 4` hose by putting another end on it, so even a chopped or damaged hose comes into play at some point. Try getting an end put on a hose at a hydraulic shop. its nigh on impossible around here.

Bob

Been using the reusable hydraulic fittings for about 10 years now and i find them very good and not expensive, not difficult to work with and from trashing a pipe on the crane we can be back up and running with in the hour, as you said above both pipe and fittings are cheap and i allways have some pipe and fittings stuffed down back of drivers seat in pick up,

26 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Bob

It's against the trade's code of practice to repair or re end hoses so very unlikely to get it done.

17 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Been using the reusable hydraulic fittings for about 10 years now and i find them very good and not expensive, not difficult to work with and from trashing a pipe on the crane we can be back up and running with in the hour, as you said above both pipe and fittings are cheap and i allways have some pipe and fittings stuffed down back of drivers seat in pick up,

I too found them the best solution as carrying a pipe "crimper" around was not possible. I kept an ammo box of various sizes and ends, I even brazed some special ones on the spot to get a haulier out of trouble.

Again these reusable fittings are deprecated by the trade's COP so tend to be strictly DIY. My ammo box with fitting was "mislaid" by a fitter at my old work so recommendations for a supplier needed as I get my old machines up together.

I originally used a 7V angle grinder which just about had the energy to make a cut either side of a burst, how things have changes with a Li-ion powered angle grinder running for many times longer nowadays. Later I carried a cheap 900W generator for such work.