Cylinder & Piston Wear

Heavy Oil Saw

In the first post you said "I have another cylinder, but that looks buggered on the lips of the ports" does that damage match the damage on the piston?

It's quite surprising there is no damage to the crankcase internals (if something got ingested by the engine).

Still,  looks like it'll go back together ok, agree with new piston ...

Meteor piston rings are Caber rings I believe, no problems there. You don't get a gudgeon pin bearing in the Meteor kit so yes, Stihl for that. And Stihl for the clips, cheap insurance.

"Came as a job lot and I'm selling off" and "was working fine when last used now won't start" is eBay code for its knackered and we know it is but don't want to put in items description what's really wrong with it. Go through the saw with a fine tooth comb, check and double check everything. As above, if damage on second cylinder matches the piston, someone has already been inside the saw and would appear to have given up on it.

Edited by ChrisNewport
Missed text

Caber rings on Meteor pistons, some of the best and they are fitted on many OEM pistons so manufactured correctly. Never had issues with them and fitted hundreds of them.

It may be someone did chock up the piston through the exhaust port and cocked up the old cylinder. Seen it before, screwdriver through the port to knock the clutch off - a bit blacksmith and bruises the port and piston!

Remember the engine doesn't need things to "look" nice, it needs basics like compression and correct timing of exhaust, inlet, blow down etc. I did a wreck of a 560 once, heavily ported it after one of the stuffers grenaded and took the top end out. I reworked all the damaged ports and smoothed all bruised metal, the bore above the exhaust port was good and it ran for years!

Just bought a Meteor piston from Greece, think some of you guys have purchased from him before, as found his name on here, bloke called Leo.

I’ll spin my stones down the cylinder, unless there’s more of a chainsaw friendly thing to do. Vim in the cylinders deglazes well apparently.

Thanks with all your help so far, it’s greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

I’ll spin my stones down the cylinder, unless there’s more of a chainsaw friendly thing to do.

Don't go mad or there will be no coating left on the bore. The Nikasil plating is only microns thick. I've usually gone round the bore with 180 or 240 grit wet and dry lubricated with 2 stroke oil, no problems after.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

Just bought a Meteor piston from Greece, think some of you guys have purchased from him before, as found his name on here, bloke called Leo.

I’ll spin my stones down the cylinder, unless there’s more of a chainsaw friendly thing to do. Vim in the cylinders deglazes well apparently.

Thanks with all your help so far, it’s greatly appreciated.

You might do better getting any aluminum transfer off with some brick acid first leaving less to hone out .....

The Greek bloke is fine and the piston should arrive in 5-7 days. On honing, you can use a 2 or 3 stone hone on a light setting and give it a whizz up and down the bore. Don't use it for minutes on high speed but just long enough to leave the bore a little rough and brighter from the surface being abraded.

Shall just give it a quick blitz and be done.
I was studying the damaged piston, and thinking of the comment of why wasn’t the cylinder more damaged. I believe@spudulike mentioned about locking the engine off, to remove flywheel, I think this is the case, a flat blade screwdriver or maybe a chisel was stuck in there, as the corner of one fits pretty well.