Wreck fishing line/braid ,

Stubby

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

Nice fish .  It must be nearly 40 years ago that I went . I was on mono then and never had a problem with it going down the side of the rollers . There was a braid called " Dakron " at the time but I never used it . Our skipper used to give a 2 hoots as we drifted up to the wreck so we could winch up a bit and jig over the top and then 1 hoot as when we were clear to drop down again .  he was watching all the time on the Ferograph .  We would do several pass like that until the tide went slack . Then we would change gear and fish into the wreck for the congers . Then wen the tide started running the other way we would drift it again for the Ling ,Pollack and Cod .

I remember reading about Dakron many many years ago and it wasnt cheap, bost of my fishing back in the 70s was on my Dads boat out off the Fylde coast or up off the cumbrian coast, the fishing was much much better than what it is today thou, now a days we head across to staithes in north Yorkshire, or during the winter on the Mersey, i allso have my own boat that we get out on during the warmer months fishing for Tope Bass and smooth hounds off the Fylde coast, but have to own up the slow retrieve pollack fishing with shads is a big hit with me and we have had some good days at that and the Tope fishing that we do can be very busy days as well,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harvey b davison said:

Can I just ask, how come you don't see many of the old wooden Scarborough reels being used anymore. When I was into boat fishing 30 odd years ago, most fished with a large Scarborough reel for ease and quickness in winding up, but they seem a rarity nowadays.

Last time I saw anything like that was some years ago on a mackerel trip! I think they’re referred to as centre pin reels now? Not sure I’d fancy one when fighting a decent cod 200 feet down tbh! 

1 hour ago, harvey b davison said:

Can I just ask, how come you don't see many of the old wooden Scarborough reels being used anymore. When I was into boat fishing 30 odd years ago, most fished with a large Scarborough reel for ease and quickness in winding up, but they seem a rarity nowadays.

I have a mint condition Peetz centerpin reel made in Canada . Wood and brass . They are not cheap either . Well respected over there . 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok . I am interested in the Berkley Whiplash . Can only find 300m spools ( from angling direct ) . Need 500m of 50lb to fill my Penn Senator 9/0 and a bit less of 30lb to fill my 6/0 . . I have treated myself to 3 new rods . All Ugly Stik Elite  rods . 1 x light spinning rod and 1x 30lb class rod and 1x 50lb class rod .  No rollers to be seen , all stainless eyes . They look very thin and light compared to my " old school " roller rods !  Any help appreciated .  

Edited by Stubby

50 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Ok . I am interested in the Berkley Whiplash . Can only find 300m spools ( from angling direct ) . Need 500m of 50lb to fill my Penn Senator 9/0 and a bit less of 30lb to fill my 6/0 . . I have treated myself to 3 new rods . All Ugly Stik Elite  rods . 1 x light spinning rod and 1x 30lb class rod and 1x 50lb class rod .  No rollers to be seen , all stainless eyes . They look very thin and light compared to my " old school " roller rods !  Any help appreciated .  

Hi put some mono on the bottom of the spool as this is recomended for braid, i think there either is or was 1000 mtr spools of whiplash available as i have them in the past, and as for the new rods being slim and light they are so much comfortable to use, when i look at my dads gear that is approx 50 yrs old in his shed i just look and think all its fit for now is growing beans up em now,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

The 50 lb Ugly Stik would be a conger rod for me. I'd start with the 30 and you might end up adding a 20.

I use Penn Senators. Good tough reels. Only I'm an oddball because I'm right handed but fish with left handed reels. I prefer to power the rod with my stronger dominant arm and reel with my left. I found it less tiring when pollack bashing or trying to lift the head of a big wreck cod and now it would be weird if I tried to do it the other way round. 

• 2 months later...

Ok you sea fishing types . I am very old school and lack confidence in modern braid coz I have never used it before . It just looks toooooo thin ! I understand there is less drag on thin  line . I like to fill the spool on my boat reels as you get the best ratio of retrieve if the spool is full .   just put 300 meters of Berkley Whiplash 100 lbs on a Penn senator 6/0 and the spool is barely half full . Should I put a backing line on first and can you join it with a standard " fisherman's  knot ?  If I wanted to fill the whole reel with whiplash it would cost a hell of a lot . I have 2x 6/0 2x 4/0 and 1 x 9/0 . The 9/0 would cost a fortune .  What do you guys do in this situation ?