Another interesting problem

spandit

I'd say the rail will need/best taken out.. as for the post ... the tree may take it out if it bounces.

Also it would be safer for the cutter to to cut a bit lower..ie less then chest height but better at waste height or lower 

either way if the tree goes on it’s own the rail/s is gone and maybe the post. Anyway ..

im in brighton if you want a hand..?

Edited by Wonky
Auto correct ?
  • Like 2

Kind offers from all but in no rush to take it down - ground is so wet that retrieving the bits would make a mess in my tractor. It's neither my tree nor my fence and with the high winds expected this weekend it might come down, although it's been leaning for a long time. It's doing no harm where it is at the moment and I'm not short of firewood for the foreseeable future!

1 hour ago, spandit said:

Despite taking a thrashing last night, tree is still standing. No wonder it's so tough to split... tough tree! Need to get a shave horse made so I can make some tool handles from it as it's quite straight

I'd be surprised if you find the grain's straight once you cut into it; sizeable eucs always seem to grow spirally, hence their being such sods to process for firewood (I have recent experience of two biggish trees that are at last firewood!).  If you do find good straight grain your next issue will be drying it without it pulling itself apart, another euc habit!

But it's free; go for it and don't worry about such 'issues'!

5 hours ago, nepia said:

I'd be surprised if you find the grain's straight once you cut into it; sizeable eucs always seem to grow spirally, hence their being such sods to process for firewood (I have recent experience of two biggish trees that are at last firewood!).  If you do find good straight grain your next issue will be drying it without it pulling itself apart, another euc habit!

But it's free; go for it and don't worry about such 'issues'!

As I posted early on helical grained Euc needs some form of mechanical  advantage to split ?

Edited by Stubby