what is this?

Mike Dempsey

As you said, its most likelyt the remains of evaporated fuel/2stroke oil. each batch of petrol from the fuel station contains different chemicals which behave differently when left for long periods of time. perhaps the fuel from your other saws were from the same can?

If it looks like that inside of the tank, you are very lucky that the same thing hasn't happened inside the carburettor blocking the jets.

i'm sure @GardenKit will have seen something similar 

either way, it might be a good idea to pick up a can of Aspen if you plan on using your machinery so infrequently. It definitely wont do that when left in the tank ?

There are actually several forms of residue left by stale petrol. I have seen very clear jelly, very browny coloured paste, brownish glue, and crystals in various forms.

I do see these sugary crystals from time to time, and usually in alloy tanks and larger alloy carburettors, although its not often I have seen them quite as sugery as Mike's.

But different brands of petrol do indeed seem to behave in different manners, which is hardly surprising when you think that the average fuel contains well over 100 chemicals, and chemicals, by nature, do react with others.

The chemical reactions do vary from fuel to fuel, and are effected by temperature and humidity too.

But I am not a chemist, so cannot be precise on the nature of these crystals.

But, it has to be said, that as Aspen contains only about 10 chemicals and is technically 'stable' you can be assured that no chemical reactions take place and no deposits will form.

Thousands have tried Aspen and will never go back to petrol. 

Occasionally I forget to fill my combi cans with motomix/aspen and get a gallon of pump stuff.
Like I've said before,
A few nostalgic moments as the petrol 2stroke exhaust fires up.
Followed by 8+ hours of nauseating, poisonous crap. And a night of smelling exhaust gasses.
(From my chest).
Can't wait for an electric 880.
[emoji6][emoji106]

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Occasionally I forget to fill my combi cans with motomix/aspen and get a gallon of pump stuff.
Like I've said before,
A few nostalgic moments as the petrol 2stroke exhaust fires up.
Followed by 8+ hours of nauseating, poisonous crap. And a night of smelling exhaust gasses.
(From my chest).
Can't wait for an electric 880.
emoji6.pngemoji106.png

With optional nuclear reactor?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, peatff said:

An extension lead to the generator in the truck would be enough. An electric motor that develops 8.6hp might be a bit heavier than the 10.1kg weight  of the MS880 though.

About 6.5Kw by my maths