paradigm shift wanted

dadio

do you agree with the premise of this video that the teachings in the subject arborpod video are overly and unnecessarily cautious  

14 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with teh premise of this video that the teachings in this video are overly and unnecessarily cautious

2. 2. Would you ever use a hand saw to finish this cut

3. 3. is it necessary to make an undercut on dead stubs like the one shown in this video

• yes
    • no
    • of course not, that was ridiculous

Training videos are meant to show the best practise for doing anything. I don't believe any 'educator' with an ounce of common sense is going to divert from these things. Its up to individuals to find their way through on the job experience in the field.

But in essence, yes I agree. A lot of things are unneccesary. I would rarely put a gob in anything that didn't absolutely need it. I rarely step cut unless required, whereas I have seen people step cutting literally everything on a tree, often poorly, then wasting time and energy trying to break the pieces off.

• Like 5

Training videos are meant to show the best practise for doing anything. I don't believe any 'educator' with an ounce of common sense is going to divert from these things. Its up to individuals to find their way through on the job experience in the field.

But in essence, yes I agree. A lot of things are unneccesary. I would rarely put a gob in anything that didn't absolutely need it. I rarely step cut unless required, whereas I have seen people step cutting literally everything on a tree, often poorly, then wasting time and energy trying to break the pieces off.

Ever seen a climber fell trees?
[emoji6]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

But in essence, yes I agree. A lot of things are unnecessary. I would rarely put a gob in anything that didn't absolutely need it. I rarely step cut unless required, whereas I have seen people step cutting literally everything on a tree, often poorly, then wasting time and energy trying to break the pieces off.

Training videos are always going to be a chicken and egg scenario. For basic stuff, okay demonstrate the safest, by the book method. It would be unthinkable to demonstrate the easiest/quickest/most efficient methods used by an experienced climber to a novice and expect them to have the competence to make the right decision every time.

It's only experience and practice on a multitude of tree species that an experienced climber falls back on when making a decision as to how they'll do something. It can't be learnt from a video, only by years of practice.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, peatff said:

I had to look up what a paradigm shift was and think it is a bit melodramatic when all he is saying is alternative methods are available.

But doesn't it sound fab ! An will occupy our slack moments thru the day kicking the arse out of this guy. On a serious note - good videos are instructional and young climbers get a lot out of them. K