Monkey Puzzle vrs winch on a pole

gobbypunk

10 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

I was chuffed as to get my winch all set up first few small ish logs no worries and yesterday a big bit of monkey puzzle and now I need a bigger winch 12v I think, but nice boards will have to do another with the winch photo it says the file is too big DSC_0614.jpeg

The image shows an old superwinch s2500 which seems to be fine, that’s a 4.8m Douglas log which it manages ok. I now use a bridle attached at a point adjacent from each end of log to stop it from pivoting when well up ramp. I took a little bit of experimenting to get it right but works ok now. A wandering lead and control would be nice as I’m not keen on standing in line of fire operating winch control which is located on the body itself. 44059017-28B0-44C7-ADCF-893ECD3833BA.thumb.png.525af0dc326dcf8e3bb062edd64d4618.png

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Shiny steve said:

Nice bit of alaskan work there. Woodland looks smart mate 

Cheers 

Ongoing project, long learning curve along the way too. Lot of the logs out of picture are too big to go on the woodland and need reducing with the Alaskan set up first. That’s one thing I’d say if you are looking at a mill is to be realistic regarding loading and handling etc it’s defo the limiting factor, if you have a loading capability then cool a bigger capacity mill is maybe worth it but if not then it’s maybe a more expensive set up that you be able to utilise fully. 

13 minutes ago, Shiny steve said:

What model is your mill, have you had it long 

130 standard model, got it Jan 19 but worked at making the trailer, ramps and winch set up steadily over the year using the mill as I went when possible. There’s always more add ons and stuff to do that can and hopefully will make it a bit more user friendly. 

Hi Johnsond, I also have a 130 bought second hand last year ,did you make your ramps and winch set up if so what dimension is your winch pole ,as I bent mine I now need to make a new one so I thought I would pick your brains if you don’t mind .

Thanks Mark 

48 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Ha just thought of another question my ramps slide into the bunks as I am winching how do you avoid this happening on yours.

Hi Mark 

No probs most of what Ive done is on here already but briefly winch pole is made from 50x50x 5mm wall box that slots into a 60x60 socket welded to chassis rail on opposite side to ramps. I’ve built a bit of angle into the winch set up to to ease the stress on the pole Images  will show this. The ramps  are 80x40 hollow section that sit in a cup/support arrangement again welded to chassis, in pic you can see a bolt that secured ramp in place that and the fact it’s sitting on a flat face etc stops it moving or rotating so to speak, it’s all very agriculture and probs way over strength but I’m no structural engineer so I’ll always err on side of caution when fabricating stuff. 
I’m defo not keen on the woodland set up for winch installation as to me it’s nowhere near strong enough or indeed made to carry out that function. 
what ramp set up are you using on yours ?? 

B8F5E8FF-C53E-4EB4-AC84-7941819FDDCB.jpeg

5D1785E1-7BCF-472C-9F92-D70E2C6369E7.jpeg

3DCE4A66-5F33-4919-9A50-AF6FDD6BDEBB.jpeg

ECD68F60-6D8A-456B-B9B9-B8955BBB2F23.jpeg

9DEB71DA-860C-490E-B11A-7F953031BB0E.jpeg

F8B191C9-39BD-44AA-AB5C-83F1A740F54D.jpeg

• Like 1