Does anyone know if there is a qualification for band Sawmilling?

wisewood

As above, is there such a thing?

Is it even a requirement?

I know when you buy new you can have a days training from the manufacturer, I'm guessing it's possible to do the same with used equipment also?

I ask as I have been approached by a group who have acquired a mill and would like me to operate it.

I have no hours on a band saw but it's an opportunity that I would love to seize.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wisewood said:

I know when you buy new you can have a days training from the manufacturer, I'm guessing it's possible to do the same with used equipment also?

I ask as I have been approached by a group who have acquired a mill and would like me to operate it.

I have no hours on a band saw but it's an opportunity that I would love to seize.

I don't know but like you I would love to learn .

• Like 1

I really dont see the need myself. If people want some training by all means, but to make it a requirement seems pointless to me. There really is nothing to the basic operation and everything you need to know is in the manual. Loads of videos on youtube for technique and tips. And asking questions here of course. :) 

I'll assume once you get into the serious Mills, and not the hobby ones most of us have here then thats a different ballgame. :D 

• Like 1

I don’t think there is any official training requirements, just HSE/PUWER regs to consider, PPE and kit fit for purposes etc.

I am pretty sure Rob D would do a tutorial for a group and there is a guy in Instagram called Woodlouse Industries who is a top bandsaw/woodwork man who I would be contacting if I needed to move into this area.

• Like 2

I don’t think there is any official training requirements, just HSE/PUWER regs to consider, PPE and kit fit for purposes etc.
I am pretty sure Rob D would do a tutorial for a group and there is a guy in Instagram called Woodlouse Industries who is a top bandsaw/woodwork man who I would be contacting if I needed to move into this area.
Thanks for that, I hadn't even thought about HSE /PUWER [emoji106]

Hi guys ,so I have been chainsaw milling for yrs and I have now got a woodland mill and it’s a whole new thing so if there was some training I would defo go for it , Steven Cull ,Blade Master will come and do a days training and service of your saw , it’s defo a good idea to spend a day with someone who has been running a bandmill for a while before settling out with one of your own ,I have made quite a few mistakes but hey I will get there !if anybody who has experience in band milling wants to come and do an experience day at my yard for a few of us then I would be totally up for it I will even get the coffee and cakes in 

Cheers Mark

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wisewood said:

Just go for it, you should find all you need online...might be a steep learning curve, but mostly just take your time,  that's how I got started, good luck

• Like 2