Winter log usage

coppice

So I've a Arizona A05 5 kW Smoke Exempt Multi Fuel Wood Burning Stove sat in the shed and wondering wether to put it in the existing open coal fire place.
I'm looking for an average of how many cubic meter bags would you go through in a typical winter for all day use and also for evening/all day weekend use.
We have oil heating in a 2 bed cottage S/W Scotland

I use something like 3 cube of stacked wood a year on a 5kW burner used evenings + weekends.  My wood is obtained from arb waste so a high proportion of softwood in that mix.

N.B. Remember that bag is generally a "builder's bag" and this is not a cube.  I can't remember how much they hold but there are discussions on here about it.

As per Rob's comment, a cube won't come in a bag. If it's bags you are buying then it'll be builders ton bags. There's a lot less wood in a builders ton bag than in a true cubic metre to the tune of only around 0.7! It's not exact of course but 3 builders ton bags will be round abouts 2 cubic metre. 

I have a 5KW stove and only burn it evenings & weekend. 2.5 cube will do me an entire winter.

Father in law has 6KW stove, in a 3 bed stone built cottage in the Highlands. Burns it night and day alongside oil-fired CH system. He'll get through 6 cube in a winter for sure.

There are so many variables really but if you bank your calculations on 6 cube for a winter I don't think you will be far away. That would be on the rounding up side of things as well if anything.

Not sure on your prices down there. Ton bags of s/wood are 40-45 here right now and h/wood 60-65. 

Edited by xdcx

similarly, my mum has one stove which she runs evenings and a little bit more, supplementing the gas CH, she burns through about 3 m3.

I have 2 stoves, run them as much as needed to heat the house and only run the gas CH a teenie bit, maybe once a month.  Last winter I burnt 8 m3, this winter I'm on for burning about 10m3.  I probably used the CH twice as much last year, I've been home a little more this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, neiln said:

similarly, my mum has one stove which she runs evenings and a little bit more, supplementing the gas CH, she burns through about 3 m3.

I have 2 stoves, run them as much as needed to heat the house and only run the gas CH a teenie bit, maybe once a month.  Last winter I burnt 8 m3, this winter I'm on for burning about 10m3.  I probably used the CH twice as much last year, I've been home a little more this year.

I have one 4kW stove which is lit much of the time, though it has not been on these last two days as weather mild, and it heats my two small living rooms. The gas central heating only comes on twice a day if the temperature falls below about 15C. The wood burner keeps the solid wall house at about 18-20C most of the time.

So far I have used up my log store whose internal dimensions give 3.8m3. So about 2.7m3 of solid wood at 20% mc.

Given we are only half way through the winter, albeit a very mild one, I'll have to double the size for next year.

8 hours ago, Big J said:

24 loose cube of ash so far this winter (16 stacked cube). It's burned quicker than the softwood from the previous winter. 20kw Woodwarm and badly insulated house.

Which would be around £3000 worth if you were buying at retail prices, and the winter is young yet.  I do often wonder why people think solid fuel is cheaper than the alternatives.  Of course if you are willing to put in the time collecting and drying your own firewood that is different. 

I no longer sell firewood but when I did most of my customers were affluent people who had a woodburner for the same reason they have a Range Rover; but every now and then someone would pop along thinking they would buy firewood at retail prices and save loads of money.

The figures are simple:

1 kw natural gas £0.03

1 kw heating oil £0.05

1 kw bulk LPG £0.05

1 kw well dried logs £0.10 (varies quite a bit of course)

1 kw electricity £0.15

Edited by Squaredy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Which would be around £3000 worth if you were buying at retail prices, and the winter is young yet.  I do often wonder why people think solid fuel is cheaper than the alternatives.  Of course if you are willing to put in the time collecting and drying your own firewood that is different. 

I no longer sell firewood but when I did most of my customers were affluent people who had a woodburner for the same reason they have a Range Rover; but every now and then someone would pop along thinking they would buy firewood at retail prices and save loads of money.

The figures are simple:

1 kw natural gas £0.03

1 kw heating oil £0.05

1 kw bulk LPG £0.05

1 kw well dried logs £0.10 (varies quite a bit of course)

1 kw electricity £0.15

Exactly. I'm not doing any more for this house. Now that I'm running a forestry business it makes no sense at all. It's better to sell it at roadside and fill the oil tank. 

I'm completely sick of stoking fires, to be honest.

• Haha 1