Waste transfer note

Does anyone/everyone fill out waste transfer notes for every load of chip you get rid of. To be honest I've only just heard of them (I am registered for lower tier waste carrier licence) but never come across or heard of them until recently. Reading up on them it seems one has to be filled out for every load (AAAAAAGGHH!!!!!), even from domestic customers, which is 90% of my work. Apparently there have been spot checks in the area recently, which is why I ask. Just seems like another ball-ache for people just trying to keep a small business going. I have a number of tip sites - farms, landscapers etc and it sounds like you're supposed to get a note at that end as well. I can't imagine the time and nonsense trying to track down a farmer or whoever every time you tip. Am I missing something????

Green waste that gets weighed in and paid for gets a ticket from the weighbridge, I have a pile of those somewhere.

Chip tipped at an allotment, no. I don't know the technical definitions but does strike me it wouldn't be legal to go and tip waste at the allotment anyway, what we are doing is delivering chip to the allotment which they use for gardening.

Other industries must have by-products though, must be a legal precedent. What about yeast going from the brewery to the Marmite factory?

4 hours ago, Calamity Wayne said:

Does anyone/everyone fill out waste transfer notes for every load of chip you get rid of. To be honest I've only just heard of them (I am registered for lower tier waste carrier licence) but never come across or heard of them until recently. Reading up on them it seems one has to be filled out for every load (AAAAAAGGHH!!!!!), even from domestic customers, which is 90% of my work. Apparently there have been spot checks in the area recently, which is why I ask. Just seems like another ball-ache for people just trying to keep a small business going. I have a number of tip sites - farms, landscapers etc and it sounds like you're supposed to get a note at that end as well. I can't imagine the time and nonsense trying to track down a farmer or whoever every time you tip. Am I missing something????

wheather your missing something or not ? it is very confusing and the paper work will only get worse, i have same waste carriers licence as your self and to be very honest about this i am not going to read anything on this subject as i will only end up with my head up my arse, the only time i will worry about it is when and thats when i get pulled up about it, had waste carriers licence now about 4 years and nothing so far,,,

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Calamity Wayne said:

One can still find PDF copies of the original EA position statement found in the is old post:

However  they are not dated and the latest position statement (which covers treated wood as well, when intended for incineration at a licensed premises) expires in June 2020.

So the salient point is that virgin wood is not waste, even if you are registered as a waste carrier and are transporting it, so no chain of custody is required.

Of course if you are carrying waste then you must have transfer notes but there are allowances for when you take the material to one place wherein you can make an annual statement.

Tip sites give you one after you weigh out , but I’m fairly sure if it’s used as a product you don’t need one. I take chip to a children’s outdoor centre who spread it over woodland pathways to stop them getting too muddy, it’s a huge site so they take pretty much everything we produce. Although no money changes hands I view it as producing a product which I send onwards so there’s no waste involved. I’m sure some sad little man with a clipboard and a job that produces nothing but ballache for other much harder working people would tell you otherwise though! That said I do get notes for stuff that goes to landfill.