Do I buy brand new truck ????

Carl123

If you look like you are doing well,likely you are and the customer will give their money to the the company looks the best.

Take a lesson from the "Caravan Club",very often them and their wagons are done up to the nines.It impresses the clients because they look the part.

If I turned up to a quote in a rusty Nissan Micra and tried to charge £900 for clearing a Spruce hedge,somehow got the job and then spent all day cutting and chipping it though a 6" Chipper.Or turn up to the quote in a sign written American Pickup,charge £1100 ,arrive in a £80K Valtra and Cranefed chipper combo,obliterate the job in 2 hours and off to the next one clients feel they get the best value out of the latter version of events than the first.Strangly the bigger the kit the less likely the "Could you justers" come out.

Knew a chap that had a successful gardening business in a very affluent local town.

He ran it with a presentable but oldish Transit van but socially he drove a brand new top spec Range Rover.

He said round here it would be almost suicidal to turn up in a vehicle newer or better than the customers own vehicle.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Knew a chap that had a successful gardening business in a very affluent local town.

He ran it with a presentable but oldish Transit van but socially he drove a brand new top spec Range Rover.

He said round here it would be almost suicidal to turn up in a vehicle newer or better than the customers own vehicle.

Definately. Old but Tidy - Knowledgeable and Polite. If i see some arb guy in a brand new Warrior i think he is beasting his staff an fleecing his customers. K

• Like 4

On 02/02/2020 at 09:38, Khriss said:

Definately. Old but Tidy - Knowledgeable and Polite. If i see some arb guy in a brand new Warrior i think he is beasting his staff an fleecing his customers. K

95% my experience too, although with the building/landscaping trade.

A 'tradesman' who puts all his spare earnings into finance on a brand new Warrior or custom VW van rather than into professional tools and machines is just a chancer in my book. Plenty of them about, but few will endure.

Sidenote- got my 2003 LDV tipper through her MOT yesterday and I'm arranging finance on a new tracked dumper today ?

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been up and running for just over a year now and recently replaced my old transit with a nearly new Izuzu Grafter (9000 miles and a fair chunk cheaper than a brand new one). I couldn't really afford it but it was a good deal and you don't often get them come up with low milage and with some warranty remaining so I jumped in and made the purchase. I've had it just over 2 months now and It's already had a new set of fuel injectors (warranty covered luckily) and needed an airbag sensor replacing so already cost me a couple of days downtime. The truck is brilliant when its at work, looks the part, tows and carries weight well but don't think you'll be completely trouble free. On the whole I am still glad I got the truck but it hasn't been as smooth as I'd have imagined. Just sharing my experience so hope it helps.

CD34D924-02E6-4CEF-B794-07CE4E169353.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

All to often a truck thats got about 50% of its life gone in milage is still demanding 70% of its new price. The cost of breakdowns and repairs and inspections can be crippling on older trucks. I worked out that if I got a smooth 5 years from a new truck, the saving in time and repairs would cover the depreciation and 50% of the total purchase price. I NEVER thought I would buy a new truck but doing the math, it made sense.

IMG_0471.JPG

Edited by Timbermcpherson
  • Like 4