Do I buy brand new truck ????

Carl123

I would never buy new , nearly new yes , but what’s the point when you have lost thousands as soon as it’s off the forecourt... you can still get hpi on nearly new gear.

I would buy nearly new but try finding one without silly mileage on for its age. And the warranty is a bonus. But I do agree with the depreciation I’m not vat registered either so it a loss straight away.

I realise that Arb trucks may be a slightly different beast to buy, but I would give new ones serious consideration.

I had always been a 'secondhand' buyer, feeling that vehicles depreciated too much to even consider new ones. So never actually checked out new prices until a couple of years ago.

We were looking for a good, nearly new car (Subaru Forester XT) but there was little choice and all tidy ones were fetching good money. Almost did a deal on an 18 month old demo model until I just threw the question of new in. This dealers price was high to be fair, but by shopping around I got a new one for less than the price of the demo model, and at the local dealer.

So when I wanted to replace my 2012 business Transit Van, I looked around again at all sorts. Having not been too impressed with the Transit I looked at Peugeot Boxers. Used ones, about a year or two old, with high mileage and marked bodies were going for around 13K plus vat, so I bought a new one, H2L2, 130Ps for £14995 plus vat. Less than 2k more than used ones. This deal was also done locally.

To be fair, I did not think the Peugeot would be as good quality as the Transit (The best price I could get on the Ford was 6k more than the Boxer), but in all honesty this van is superb!

3 hours ago, GardenKit said:

I realise that Arb trucks may be a slightly different beast to buy, but I would give new ones serious consideration.

I had always been a 'secondhand' buyer, feeling that vehicles depreciated too much to even consider new ones. So never actually checked out new prices until a couple of years ago.

We were looking for a good, nearly new car (Subaru Forester XT) but there was little choice and all tidy ones were fetching good money. Almost did a deal on an 18 month old demo model until I just threw the question of new in. This dealers price was high to be fair, but by shopping around I got a new one for less than the price of the demo model, and at the local dealer.

So when I wanted to replace my 2012 business Transit Van, I looked around again at all sorts. Having not been too impressed with the Transit I looked at Peugeot Boxers. Used ones, about a year or two old, with high mileage and marked bodies were going for around 13K plus vat, so I bought a new one, H2L2, 130Ps for £14995 plus vat. Less than 2k more than used ones. This deal was also done locally.

To be fair, I did not think the Peugeot would be as good quality as the Transit (The best price I could get on the Ford was 6k more than the Boxer), but in all honesty this van is superb!

I had exactly the same experience with Citroen Relays. 

Some years ago, I bought an ex demo L3H2, about 8 months old. I think it was £14k or just a bit more, plus the VAT. Enterprise spec, so a some kit, but not everything. It was only about 6 months later when I looked at the price list for new that I realised that it was a mistake. £18.5k got me a brand new L3H2, with loads of really useful extras. 16 options I think it was, with the highest power output engine (160ps) being the most useful one, alongside the long range fuel tank, heavy duty suspension, underbody guarding, doors both sides, heavy duty rear door hinges, reversing camera and others I can't remember.

New vehicles are cheaper than you'd think.

• Like 1

Unclear if you're looking for a pickup or a tipper? Business doing well?

Either way, and especially if a tipper, If you can't find a tidy used one, then buy new.

Either replace it when the warranty/finance finishes - 3 years, or run it into the ground, then repeat.

No point paying for it outright, you'll still have to write it off on the books over X years. (My accountant explained it to me but forgotten most of it, that's the gist of it though)

Interesting comment about arriving in a shiny new vehicle putting customers off. My old boss (in the UK) had an oldish 5k Saab, many commented on "how hes doing well for himself" but turn up in a brand new 30k sign written tipper, and no one notices! 

New vehicle you can also advertise on socialmedia/website that you care about emissions and want to be running to the highest emission standards 

Choose a popular one, and you won't loose too much over 3 years. (here, Sweden, Hiluxes hold their money VERY well, Mitsubushi l200's depreciate horrendously quickly)

• Like 2