Do I buy brand new truck ????

Carl123

I’ve been looking for a tidy arb truck for a while (3.5 ton Isuzu or similar) and can’t seem to find anything I’d go for.

Which leads me to think should I buy new? For my business that’s a big outlay I’m not sure I could justify yet. My question is in your experience does a shiny new truck with sign writing tend to generate a significant amount of work rather than my old cabstar with no signage. Basically will it pay for its self.

Thanks in advance [emoji106]

• Like 1

Will it pay for itself? Probably not.

But you’ll have a tax deductible, smart motor, that’s under guarantee, starts on the button, plus you can sell it to yourself for buttons in 5 years, then flog it and trouser the lot.

But not everything in business is about money, the pleasure in owning a swish new truck is difficult to quantify. 

I say go new.

• Like 4

I bought a brand new Cabstar in 2008 and it's still going strong today.

It still looks smart when clean and owes me nothing.

I will run it till it goes bang and then not hesitate to buy new again.

I think if you're happy to keep a truck till it goes bang then buy new as you will not lose anything on it.

• Like 2

Just my opinion but unless your truck is covered in rust, you can see daylight through the tipping body and generally looks ready to be scrapped.

It won’t earn you any more money than a brand new one, but a new one could be more reliable, comfortable and all round nicer to drive.

Some People are funny and when your quoting in a new vehicle and are put off because they think either your going to be expensive.

Some people may disagree but I’ve had people not go with others because they had a brand new vehicle because “he’s earning too much”. I can’t see the logic behind it but that’s just people.

Reading what I’ve said seems like I’m trying to put you off a new vehicle (I’m not I’ve just got a new truck) but just don’t expect it to earn any more than your old one

• Like 3

I think on balance, the cost of vehicle ownership is fairly consistent. You buy a new truck, you lose your money on depreciation. You buy an old one, you lose it on repairs and downtime.

Personally, I prefer the comfort, convenience and reliability of a new vehicle so I have a Berlingo as my main work vehicle, which I bought in May. I'll probably do 18-20k miles a year in it, the service package cost me a total of £299 for the three year period I'll own it for (which is rolled into the finance) and it's financed over 3 years. It costs about £490 a month and I'll sell it at 3 years old and replace it. It'll always be in warranty, and compared to an older van, it's extremely quick, comfortable, with excellent (voice activated) handsfree telephony, which is worth it's weight in gold. 

On the flip side, I've got a 4x4 Sprinter that I'm selling (mainly because I hardly use it) which has cost me about £250-300 a month in maintenance and repairs over the 20 months I've had it. It's only a 12 plate and it's very well cared for, but in order to keep it working well, it's required money to be spent on it. 

I've now got a V10 Touareg for towing, but there is always that slight fear when out in it that if something goes wrong, it's me that's going to have to pick up the bill!

Edited by Big J
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I would never buy new , nearly new yes , but what’s the point when you have lost thousands as soon as it’s off the forecourt... you can still get hpi on nearly new gear.

Warranty.

You might get 3 years unlimited mileage or 50,000 miles for example.

• Like 1