Can anyone please help me make this woodburner usable?

Angie

Hi there, I have acquired and restored this fantastic cast iron wood burner. I have not yet decided if I will fit it into my home or sell it on, but before I do either I need to make it usable. I can not see any markings on it that tell me who made it and what Kw it is (I think it is likely a Villager from my research). Before I can attach a chimney too it I need to fit some kind of adapter as it does not have the usual round hole at the top, instead it has a rectangular hole in the rear (with four screw hole's, one in each corner). So my questions to you are these:

Who made this wood burner?

What Kw is it?

Where can I buy an adapter for the hole in the rear? 

I have included images and many thanks in advance for anyone that can help me answer these questions.

Angela.

20191216_143641.jpg

20191216_143934.jpg

20191216_143918.jpg

villager gas or pos oil , probably a BL model ,around 8kw for wood.and totally cost prohibitive to convert.

It's a steel stove with cast iron doors which would need to be replaced with ones that have primary and secondary air vents for wood burning,not a simple job as off the shelf doors rarely seal without the body hinges being cut off and rewelded .

Then full set of fire bricks sides and bottom + a baffle plate, easy job, , then flue spiggot conversion which more skilled job,

I've refurbished about a dozen of the WB versions of these over the years so think the best option would to weigh in or use as a chimnea as is with a mod in the top for a short flue pipe

Or decorative item in unused fireplace

Edited by slim reaper
More info

Well thanks all for the prompt and informative information. I'm certainly glad I posted here before putting any money into this item! I have no real attachment to it other than having put a couple of hours work into cleaning it up, but rather that than wasting real money before I understood what I was working with. The back panel is indeed thin: 5mm thick, the bottom panel has a hole in it, which is covered by a loose metal plate and there are no vents or ways of removing the ashes as you said. So there is no way I am going to waste time and money doing a conversion and definitely no way I will be installing it in my house.

Thanks again everyone, you have been very helpful indeed ?

• Like 1

Hello

It looks like a Villager low canopy A (we have one) although the doors lack the top and bottom vents, as noted above. On ours the doors have the Villager logo and the securing arrangement for the glass is different.

There should be a circular connection for the flue at the top and the rear exit is circular on ours with a blanking plate that fits via four lugs. However yours looks thinner than ours, the lugs for the doors and the wood retainer are also slightly different and inside there are fire bricks along with a baffle to prevent flames going up the flue.

Edited by NFG