A frame glamping pod

gobbypunk

So guys I have been asked to quote to build an A frame glamping pod type thing and to keep the costs down,so I have some western red saw logs and access to some Doug Fir ,would either of these fresh milled green be alright for the frame construction it’s getting clad in box profile roofing as that is what the customer wants obviously with a membrane,all thoughts and advise welcome

Thanks Mark 

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

So guys I have been asked to quote to build an A frame glamping pod type thing and to keep the costs down,so I have some western red saw logs and access to some Doug Fir ,would either of these fresh milled green be alright for the frame construction it’s getting clad in box profile roofing as that is what the customer wants obviously with a membrane,all thoughts and advise welcome

Thanks Mark 

I hope so Mark as the Douglas I have is being milled and prepared ie mortices/tenons cut etc then used for whatever purpose ( currently a timber frame log store) pretty much straight away. I read up on it and whilst there are a few differing opinions I got the impression if it was milled and used straight away as opposed to being milled and stored etc then it wasn’t much of a problem. End of day whatever you do it’s gonna move around somewhat depending on time of year/weather etc etc. 

Western Red Cedar is widely regard as one of the most stable timbers available, it it has one of the smallest percentages of shrinkage from green too. WRC has a tangential shrinkage of 5%, Douglas fir is 7.3% and oak is 8.3% for comparison. The only problem with WRC from England is that it grows very fast and is quite fluffy and pulpy as the growth rings are so far apart. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi thanks guys it’s what I was thinking but not made many structures I have mainly been making furniture,chainsaw carvings ,but thanks as always it’s always good to double check.m

Stick a few pics up Mark once you get going it’s always good to get a few ideas etc or to see how others go about things.