Wi-Fi Routers?

benedmonds

Not tree related but there is too much information on the whole internet, I don't  know what to believe and I could do with unbiased simple advice.. 

Is it worth buying an after market wifi router? My wifi has been unreliable.. I have boosters but it has been crashing on some devices while being ok on others..?

Will it be simple to install?

Can I get one that I can set up restrictions, so I can boot the kids off when they are supposed to be revising or sleeping..

36 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Not tree related but there is too much information on the whole internet, I don't  know what to believe and I could do with unbiased simple advice.. 

Is it worth buying an after market wifi router? My wifi has been unreliable.. I have boosters but it has been crashing on some devices while being ok on others..?

Will it be simple to install?

Can I get one that I can set up restrictions, so I can boot the kids off when they are supposed to be revising or sleeping..

The main router is a Sky fiber one . Then I have a connection from the router to the house wiring . This lets the signal travel through the house wiring and a booster plugged  in to any socket in room  will take that signal and dish it out  were ever its needed . 

Edited by Stubby

I use a Billion router-  Bipac 7800, the main reason is that you can run a program called "Router stats" that shows you your connection quality etc and you can also tweak your SNR (Signal to noise Ratio) which with ADSL can make a difference. TP link do those mains cable boosters Stubby is talking about and although I don't use them (the router has a big transmission range), I would if I needed it.

Are you on ADSL or fibre? This router will cope with both and you can pick them up on eBay cheap enough.

Setting it up...it is always an interesting one but it isn't too bad if you go online and get the settings from Google!

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

The main router is a Sky fiber one . Then I have a connection from the router to the house wiring . This lets the signal travel through the house wiring and a booster plugged  in to any socket in room  will take that signal and dish it out  were ever its needed . 

I have the TP link jobbies and it was working fine, but keeps not working, which is annoying...

Spud yours sounds complicated... We are fibre to the box but copper to the house..

Generally after-market Routers deliver better Wifi than the box your ISP provides. 

[To be clear it's probably a Modem Router you're after if you want to completely replace your existing box in one].

TP Link, Netgear, Billion, etc. all produce decent alternatives that you can configure to do things like offer a guest network or kick the kids off at certain times of the day, tweak settings like SNR, etc.  It's generally pretty intuitive once you've logged on to the Router [username and password required].

Whether you need a new Router, perhaps a Mesh system or [like Stubby] a Powerline Adapter setup [uses the copper wiring in the electrical circuitry of the house to transmit data] - will come down to how big your house is, whether there are WiFi 'notspots' you need to banish, how technically savvy you are and how big your budget is.

You may need to get some advice specific to your circumstances.

If you feel the need to have a go yourself - buy off Amazon.  If you do and it doesn't offer an improvement - then you can send it back.

My instinct is that if you are looking for more speed and a more reliable signal - a new router might be worth a go.  You probably know this - but a router that offers WiFi at both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands means you can choose one that works best for you. 

5GHz is 'faster' but has less range - 2.4 GHz is slower but has more range.  You can mix the two on one Router.

Then I'd almost let price be your guide.  The more you pay - the more speed you'll get.  A bigger box with more aerials is also generally better too.

Hope that helps a bit.

I would start at the basics, if you are getting some devices crashing and not others, the obvious question is why and is it down to the location of the devices etc. Is the complete internet going down or just connection to some devices. Are the devices well away from the router or are they all close? If it is certain devices then you will need to work out why......

The wall thickness and construction is an important factor, flint makes a pretty good Faraday cage and blots out most signals, dry lining stops pretty much nothing!

Some devices will be poor at picking up WiFi signal, you can get software on a Lappy and see what the WiFi is giving you in regards to signal. Sometimes devices don't like some of the WiFi encryption ie WAP, WEP and the like, the older ones may not like the later types of encryption etc.

From what I have read, the BT router is supposed to be one of the more stable and furthest transmitting ones. I have used Netgear and now Billion, they aren't really complicated TBH, I have only 3mbps in our village....30 miles from London9_9and have had to get creative to get the best out of it. The Billion router allows you to monitor the signal coming in to your house and lets you see the upload and download signals using a piece of software as I mentioned which is useful as often if our internet is bad, the upload speed is very choppy.

I guess there are people out there that will go through your system and make the necessary changes but here we go again.....there will be good and bad........