Advice needed re cable pulling winch

Tony Parker

On 05/05/2020 at 13:57, blackeyeler said:

I have found a reference to the rope  7x19 IWRC 103 metre from Rope Services direct. Is this suitable for Igland 55?

Yes - 7 strands - one as central core and the other 6 laid up around the independent wire rope core - each strand consisting of 19 sub-strands - good general purpose wire rope with good wear & deformation resistance

On 05/05/2020 at 10:29, blackeyeler said:

I'll take it that logs jamming in and against stumps during retrieval will also put undue tension /torsion on the rope?

Logs jamming against stumps will cause an increase in tension - but since your wire is sized for first layer pull it will not be undue unless you go at it bald headed - what it will do is cause a rip-down on the winch drum if there is loose laid wire to rip down into.

What will cause a sharp rise in tension is getting a log moving and horsing it into a stump with the winch flat out

The tension in the wire tries to straighten out the strands - if you put a swivel on the end this effect will be magnified as the swivel allows the wire to unlay.

Oddly enough, or not, but over my 10 odd years of use and abuse of the 5t Krpan, which is still on its origonal rolled steel rope, I can still pull the 10mm? wire rope out without much difficulty, despite more than once winching until I stalled the 84HP DB1490 tractor,(OK only ticking over on the 1000 shaft setting) and then having to release with a hellauva "sproing", and not always carefully respooling afterwards(and I got a big kink on the drum somewhere just recent)

So was the rolled steel wire rope on the Krpan better quality?

mth

• 2 weeks later...

When yr oiling it - the fibre core absorbs a lil oil which helps. I used to run my rope through an old mop head to clean it , then nother mop head soaked in oil if kit was going in store fr a bit.  Plus having a spare pulley to drag yr rope right out n rewind under tension is good practice ( pulley on a tree an shackle end on tractor n wind in with a bit of hand brake on  ) k