Advice needed re cable pulling winch

Tony Parker

47 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Any particular reason for going for Eder over the PCW?

It's the rope activated throttle that I like the look of.

i reckon that rope activated throttle is the business as you can stand well clear if need be and not have to run over to set the enjun back to idle,  plus i'd prefer a 2T power plant over 4T despite PCW stating their unit can run at any angle.  I have spoken to a chap that ran a 4T capstan winch and they encountered problems when it tilted over during use.  The big Eder has a 1800kg straight line pull or 3600kg when used with a pully block so i'd be after one of those as ya may as well go 'full fat' and not 'semi skimmed' if ya know what i mean.  The price is a bit salty though at over 2k!

• Thanks 2

For the OP.

How wide is ur pond? Or the furtherest I'd expect to pull a tree?

So how long u need the rope to be.

Also can u get a pick up or tractor reasonably near to the pond ( althou it doesn't need to be that near if ur rope is long enough)

If only occasional use/trees.

If u can get a 4x4 reasonably close I'd just use that to pull the rope, set up any redirects u need. Ur pick up could be 100m away if ur rope was long enough, just need extra blocks as needed

And I'd do wot was mentioned earlier, find a tree near one edge with a decent fork/branch and set up a pulley there to lift the butt as it comes out off water.

Ur not talking about big timber really.

In the past tirfors were unique and the best as I believe we're the only folk with the patent for the winches, but now patent has expired so loads of knock offs cheaper, might not be as good but good enough for occasional use.

Pulling trees/branches out of ponds - wire rope hand winches are slow, if you can get a 4 x 4 vehicle near the lake it would be much quicker with a length of cable or rope (direct pull or offset with snatch block) but portable capstan make job easier if affordable.

On lightweight portable capstan winches depending on needs the Docma VF 105 Red Iron and the more powerful but lot more expensive Eder 1800 seem to be the best out there for forestry/arb use. These are both 2 stoke winches with pulling power at 1050 kg single pull VF 105 and 900-1800 kg single pull Eder 1800, speeds are 20m/min VF 105 and 12-24m/min Eder 1800. The rope needs to be kept tight on capstan winches and in my experience tend to work best on flat ground or pulling up a slope, when pulling downhill if the log slides the rope can slacken off and get tangle up on the capstan, cones can be useful in places but logs/trees winch in often fine without cone. Treadlight Forestry have a good range of portable winches on offer as well as accessories. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pulling trees/branches out of ponds - wire rope hand winches are slow, if you can get a 4 x 4 vehicle near the lake it would be much quicker with a length of cable or rope (direct pull or offset with snatch block) but portable capstan make job easier if affordable.

If you’ve got decent access and ground conditions this can work really well if you’ve got somewhere suitable for a redirect to lift the pulling angle. It’s much faster than winching, but is best with smaller pieces that don’t need too much force.

The rope needs to be kept tight on capstan winches and in my experience tend to work best on flat ground or pulling up a slope, when pulling downhill if the log slides the rope can slacken off and get tangle up on the capstan

After a bit of experimentation with my winch I found that running the rope through a carabiner as it leaves the winch pretty much eliminated any tangling on the capstan.

e86173ba6032a99457e7921cb2dc3031.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

New member here. I am trying to find a reference in the forums to wire rope fouling , twisting and coiling. The kit is an Igland 55 winch and I am constantly having to cut lengths off the wire rope due to coiling. Any one able to point me to a discussion? All help gratefully received. Blackeyeler.