Advice needed re cable pulling winch

Tony Parker

Loving that[emoji108]
 Capstan winches are so underrated, used to have one on the front of a Series 2a Landrover, brilliant tool.

Totally agree, first used one for scrub clearance 20 years ago, was a Zollern Muli and we had it mounted on an 044, superb bit of kit but ridiculously expensive, I believe they’re about 6k now and that’s before you put a power head on! Was much heavier than the Eder but would pull a lot more

Anyone  actually using a  pulley as force multiplier and if so what pulley?

FC booklet says sheave should be minimum X18 diameter size of cable.  Most pulleys are alot smaller diameter

So for this winch you would  need a pulley to be over 200mm size take a 10-12mm rope and rated 3t or above.

Does such a pully block exist?

Which booklet is that?

I use one of these for redirects

WWW.FRJONESANDSON.CO.UK
Single Pulley for 13mm RopePulleys in our Heavy-duty Prussik range have tamper-proof Rivets, in compliance with CE EN12278 (2007) & NFPA (1983)*These Pulleys are available in Aluminium or Stainless Steel, with Bushings or Roller Bearings...

Hi I have a trifor and it’s ace a bit of a faf but moved some massive monkey puzzle butts still green and bloody heavy ,I got mine second hand for £25 so if you could get one cheap like I did no worries and if you don’t get on with it I am sure you could sell it on no problem.

Cheers Mark

My friend showed me a little homelite XL chainsaw winch he's had for years. Looks a we'll make thing! Will pull 1 t straight pull or 2 with a pulley. Going to borrow it soon for a job and most likely twist his arm and buy it from him after! 

Look such a handy small package to have for all sorts of applications. 

21 minutes ago, swinny said:

My friend showed me a little homelite XL chainsaw winch he's had for years. Looks a we'll make thing! Will pull 1 t straight pull or 2 with a pulley. Going to borrow it soon for a job and most likely twist his arm and buy it from him after! 

Look such a handy small package to have for all sorts of applications. 

Like a lewis winch.

LEWISWINCH.COM

The Lewis Winch high-powered portable chainsaw winch, Portable Winch and Lewis Winch Multi Drill, Snatch Block, check out all our Winch Products.

Which booklet is that?

Compatibility of equipment is essential. Winch
components, e.g. shackles and blocks of equal
rating, vary in size depending on the material
used in their construction. Compatibility of
equipment includes selecting blocks that are
appropriate for the diameter of wire rope in
use, with respect to the diameter of the block
in use and the depth of the groove. The sheave
diameter should be at least eight times the rope
diameter and ideally, the sheave diameter
should be around the order of 18 times the