Advice needed re cable pulling winch

Tony Parker

Hi all,

I run a small fishing lake and a large part of our work involves dealing with trees, both those that have fallen down in the wind and those that we need to remove before they fall into the lake.

We regularly call upon a professional tree surgeon when we have a tricky situation but more often than not we deal with the trees ourselves.

Several members have chainsaws and the relevant qualifications to use them.

We have borrowed in the past a steel cable pulling winch. When a tree has fallen into the lake they are invaluable for dragging them to the bank and chopping up as we bring them in.

Having looked online I see that the Tirfor make are the cream of the crop but there are cheaper alternatives available for example the Yaletrac ones.

My question is, what in your opinions should I be looking for with regards to pulling weight for this purpose.

Are there other makes that would suit our needs that are cheaper than Tirfor.

An average tree on our land is around 20 to 40 feet high and rarely have a diameter of more than 18 inches.

Also, is a 20m rope sufficient for this type of work.

Thanks in advance for any input and apologies for not knowing any correct terminology!

You can move a large piece of wood in water but when it gets to bank it's another kettle of fish. 20m cable should be ok as long as you have a extention rope you can shorten by knotting or different lengths of slings. 

If you want to take hard work out of job find someone how has land rover with winch and likes to play.

I’d suggest a petrol capstan winch if you can run to one. They are much quicker and easier and typically come with 100m of rope which is brilliantly if you need to pull any distance.

TREADLIGHTFORESTRY.CO.UK

The VF105 Red Iron is the latest portable capstan winch from Italian manufacturer DOCMA.

4 minutes ago, john k said:

I’d suggest a petrol capstan winch if you can run to one. They are much quicker and easier and typically come with 100m of rope which is brilliantly if you need to pull any distance.

TREADLIGHTFORESTRY.CO.UK

The VF105 Red Iron is the latest portable capstan winch from Italian manufacturer DOCMA.

Agreed, they look superb.

Get yourself a pulley as well that you can put up a tree still standing near the bank (even a couple of mètres up) this will ensure the tree lifts out of the water when you’re pulling it out.

The VF105 Red Iron has a 1050kg single line pull. Add a pulley block and it will pull 2100kg!

Anyone  actually using a  pulley as force multiplier and if so what pulley?

FC booklet says sheave should be minimum X18 diameter size of cable.  Most pulleys are alot smaller diameter

So for this winch you would  need a pulley to be over 200mm size take a 10-12mm rope and rated 3t or above.

Does such a pully block exist?

5 minutes ago, Stere said:

Anyone  actually using a  pulley as force multiplier and if so what pulley?

FC booklet says sheave should be minimum X18 diameter size of cable.  Most pulleys are alot smaller diameter

So for this winch you would  need a pulley to be over 200mm size take a 10-12mm rope and rated 3t or above.

Does such a pully block exist?

We use a capstan I knocked up for this kind of work, quite surprised how many times its been used on jobs since.

Bob

Slow but sure

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Agreed, they look superb.

Get yourself a pulley as well that you can put up a tree still standing near the bank (even a couple of mètres up) this will ensure the tree lifts out of the water when you’re pulling it out.

Treadlight sell a forestry kit of strops and pulley.

There's no way I'd use a tirfor if a powered capstan like this were available, I might be able to keep going at 100W output on a tirfor  but petrol power will do 20 times more and no tiring out all in a package much the same weight as a tirfor, similar cost magnitude too.

I'm vacillating over buying one of treadlight's offerings and a basic ground anchor for felling a load of small ash into a field which they lean away from.

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

We use a capstan I knocked up for this kind of work, quite surprised how many times its been used on jobs since.

Bob

Slow but sure

Loving that?
 Capstan winches are so underrated, used to have one on the front of a Series 2a Landrover, brilliant tool.

• Like 1