Solving the Housing Problem!

Billhook

16 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

What gets me about this alternate living, which I'm all for as long as it doesn't impact on anyone else, is what do they do about having a postal address. As without a postal address I presume you cant do much, as for as getting a bank account etc.

Use a friends/relatives address, or use a service like Boat Mail where your post gets sent to an address where they either open your mail and scan it to you or forward your post onto you to a local post office to where you are. Like I said in an earlier post, in the last 30 years I've only lived at a 'proper' address for 12 years, never had a problem with bank, driving license, passport. 

This is intresting subject being discussed here ,

I once knew a guy who was living in a van full time and that didn’t last more than a few years and then went back into a rental.

a while ago I had an idea of building an underground house accessed through a shed a bit like that thing on doctor who show .i think maybe the novelty might have worn off  though by now 

When I started this, I did not mean it to become an argument about paying council tax.

We do seem to have problems here in Lincolnshire with many living full time in caravans on the coast and not paying council tax

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Lincolnshire could be missing out on thousands of pounds in council tax as people are choosing to live permanently in...

I just thought that since you all work with wood, those videos show what can be done.  If you happen to find a lovely spot in a piece of woodland that you have bought for some peace and quiet away from it all.

With house prices in six figures, I would suggest that you could build yourself a wonderful home for four figures and be able to easily afford the Band A council tax at about £1000/annum.

A log cabin may be more the thing in the woods.

• Like 2

On 26/01/2020 at 18:38, eggsarascal said:

I was in the UK, (middle England) on a narrowboat, no council tax if you are permently on the move. I don't see, or never heard of someone that cruises the inland waterways paying council tax. Different if you have a perment mooring. The cost or rubbish disposal iand the likes s in your licence.

So you got to use the canals for nothing didn’t pay for locks or maintaining banks left it up to us to do it for you?

7 minutes ago, dumper said:

So you got to use the canals for nothing didn’t pay for locks or maintaining banks left it up to us to do it for you?

No, maintenance including locks, Banks are rolled into your boat licence, like rubbish, water and elsan points if you have a cassette toilet. License, insurance, mooring (if you have one) and fuel is down to the boat owner.