Solving the Housing Problem!

Billhook

10 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Easily sorted, vet all of the single mums claiming housing benefit. Most of them will have two houses on the go.

Use the derelict house to home someone who needs a house.

Best to make marriage compulsory on the birth of a child and divorce illegal.

This may concentrate the mind somewhat!

1 hour ago, doobin said:

You still can’t dwell in them. 

I dwell in mine and I know it isn't exactly legal.

There was some research done locally to see just how many folk were living in mobile homes that shouldn't be. The numbers were so high I wondered why action hadn't been taken to end it.

I think one reason is nobody is complaining so let sleeping dogs lie, especially if you don't have the resources to deal with it. Another reason is they would have to find somewhere for a lot of them to live as they would be homeless, so as per thread title they are helping with the housing crisis.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

I dwell in mine and I know it isn't exactly legal.

There was some research done locally to see just how many folk were living in mobile homes that shouldn't be. The numbers were so high I wondered why action hadn't been taken to end it.

I think one reason is nobody is complaining so let sleeping dogs lie, especially if you don't have the resources to deal with it. Another reason is they would have to find somewhere for a lot of them to live as they would be homeless, so as per thread title they are helping with the housing crisis.

I know loads of people that live slightly under the radar, me included, it's not a cheap way of living just the way some people choose to live. Since the early Ninties I've only lived in a pile of bricks for 12 years. The only dodge I could get way with is council tax, I pay a friends single person uplift to keep a local postal address and to keep me on the electoral roll. Sometimes it's best to leave folk alone if they aren't causing any problems.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

I stay in my beach hut for weeks at a time throughout the year with the family.

A French girl bought one along from me and dwelled in it for three years whilst studying for her nursing degree, as long as you are discreet and don’t cause a nuisance I can’t see the problem, and who is going to police it anyway? 

I bought a Portakabin years ago and turned it into a Dwelling / Office , all mod cons - didnt stretch much further than 6 grand , perfectly comfy . Only needs a waterpipe and 4" sewage , everything self contained . Solar roof panels and turbine . Gas cooking n showering. Dunno why more aint converted . Fits on a flatbed. Live where u like realy . K

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

I stay in my beach hut for weeks at a time throughout the year with the family.

A French girl bought one along from me and dwelled in it for three years whilst studying for her nursing degree, as long as you are discreet and don’t cause a nuisance I can’t see the problem, and who is going to police it anyway? 

Did you manage to have any French lessons over the three years???

Edited by Billhook
  • Haha 2

I'm somewhat conflicted with this 'alternative' scenario...

On the one hand, I'll cheer and support anyone that wants to 'do their own thing' and say bullocks to 'the system.'

But on the other hand, and Cornwall is rife with it, it boils my urine that this so called alternative lifestyle very often relies heavily upon the very services which the more 'conventional' types have to pay for.

If yome going off grid, off you jolly well trot and have a good time, best of luck to ya, but don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining....

That means - if you want out of 'the system', it's all in or all out.  If you're not paying council tax then that should mean no handouts, no social, no sneaking your rubbish next to somebody else's on bin day because that is simply exploiting others for your own benefit and it doesn't wash with me.

• Like 7

How to solve the housing crisis. Ban football!

All the stadiums could then be built on. The grounds staff could be employed to maintain the grounds of the estates. No job losses. No more football hooligans, so the police can bet on with their job.

All the foreign football players clear off home, freeing up more houses, some large enough to split up into flats. 

Public transport and roads become less congested in the weekends, and pollution will be down. Plus in the summer, valuable water resources not wasted watering pitches for some overpaid bloke to roll around in cos he pulled a hair out trying to tackle someone.

Am I missing anything?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I'm somewhat conflicted with this 'alternative' scenario...

On the one hand, I'll cheer and support anyone that wants to 'do their own thing' and say bullocks to 'the system.'

But on the other hand, and Cornwall is rife with it, it boils my urine that this so called alternative lifestyle very often relies heavily upon the very services which the more 'conventional' types have to pay for.

If yome going off grid, off you jolly well trot and have a good time, best of luck to ya, but don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining....

That means - if you want out of 'the system', it's all in or all out.  If you're not paying council tax then that should mean no handouts, no social, no sneaking your rubbish next to somebody else's on bin day because that is simply exploiting others for your own benefit and it doesn't wash with me.

Why would not paying council tax put you out of the system, when I had a boat I was a continual cruiser, which council should I have paid my tax to?

• Haha 1