multi fuel burner installing prices without chimney.

2 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Eerrr, yes? My mate did must that. The council signed it off

Not sure he knew what he was talking about then.

Maximum height of single skin vitreous enamel flue pipe
1.4 metres (4' 8") from the top of the stove
Beyond 1.4 (4' 8") metres you must use twin wall insulated flue because of the excessive heat released from the single skin pipe which will naturally rise towards any combustible ceiling components. You cannot revert to single skin flue pipe once twin wall has been used at any point in the flue system. 

3 hours ago, neiln said:

I'd not be surprised if your stove runs more like 220 ish days a year (chilly nights in early September through to early may, a month at either end being sporadic). And a nominal 5KW stove usually has a min/max of around 3/7kW so your 4 kW estimate may be low too. However the cutting and splitting has to be fun or it's A BIG  chore.

One can plug in figures that suit one's particular circumstance, I was trying to indicate one way of judging how much capex was justified for the OP.

I do it from habit and because often (more so  in the past) what I burned would otherwise have rotted in some field.

Using a top quality flue system from Poujoulat then look at around 2k inc VAT for a 130mm ID system in shiny stainless steel, ,   its all we use,  12 years and zero problems.  

Hearth will be driven by the choice of stove,  most stoves these days can sit on a glass hearth that could sit on a wooden floor.  Sitting on concrete then dont use glass but anything non combustible can be used,  price would vary from around 100 quid upwards.

You will need to have those electrical points removed,  or have the stove situated a fair way from them as heat from the stove will melt them.  Exactly how far will depend on the stove,  if you look at convector stoves such as the Arada I600 they have a closer min comb clearance than a radiating stove,  the Morso S11-42 is a favorite of mine in these situations.

The walls to the sides and rear are also either plasterboard ( combustible) or plaster onto block work,  thus liable to heat damage.    Thus the walls may need to be protected depending on how far from the stove they are,  tiling is one way of doing this.  

Install and safety certification for a job of that type we would charge 650 inc VAT, plus tiling if needed, should be completed in one day or 1.5 days if tiling.  

Then you have the cost of a decent stove,  the Charnwood Skye 5 fills all the requirements,  very low emissions, ( 40% better than the 2022 requirements),  convector, multifuel,  84 % efficient,  200mm sides and 90mm rear min comb clearance,  it is the current state of the art stove,  but it is 1800 quid or so inc VAT.   I have a SKYE 7 on live display,  so a bit bigger version,  pretty well every customer who wants to get their hands on it and see how controllable it is buys one.

https://www.charnwood.com/files/documents/specifications/skye5.pdf

Horses for courses really.

Depending on the latter and the hearth choice jobs of that type are usually in the 4k - 5k bracket. 

A

Edited by Alycidon