multi fuel burner installing prices without chimney.

48 minutes ago, Rossplym said:

I can get free wood unlimited. That's another reason why I was interested

£5000 buys a lot of gas.  And nothing is free.. Your time, fuel,  saws, log splitters, etc...

If it is logs you are planning to burn and If you weren't burning them you could be selling them, so while you might not be paying for the logs each  bag you burn is still lost income. 

The only way burning "waste wood" economically makes sense in my opinion is if you have a big biomass burner where the wood needs little processing. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, slim reaper said:

Its not about how much wood one can get but how much room one has to season and store it....by siting the stove in the centre of the room with a 6” flue gives a wider choice of stove at most price points so 5k should eat it with change to spare.

So you think it could be done for 5k

3 hours ago, benedmonds said:

£5000 buys a lot of gas.  And nothing is free.. Your time, fuel,  saws, log splitters, etc...

If it is logs you are planning to burn and If you weren't burning them you could be selling them, so while you might not be paying for the logs each  bag you burn is still lost income. 

The only way burning "waste wood" economically makes sense in my opinion is if you have a big biomass burner where the wood needs little processing. 

From a purely commercial point of view you are right.  I process arb waste for my log burner and if I costed my time then it would definitely not be worth it.  Economically, you can very soon be in profit purely from a fuel point of view if you careful about your tool prices, particularly the saw.  However, it will be a LONG time before the initial investment pays off from a purely financial PoV, if it ever does.  For me though the processing is fun, I like to make something from waste so all my logs racks have cost me nothing or very little (nails + paint).  Also there is something about a log burner in the house that is nice.  I've had gas fires and it is just not the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

From a purely commercial point of view you are right.  I process arb waste for my log burner and if I costed my time then it would definitely not be worth it.  Economically, you can very soon be in profit purely from a fuel point of view if you careful about your tool prices, particularly the saw.  However, it will be a LONG time before the initial investment pays off from a purely financial PoV, if it ever does.  For me though the processing is fun, I like to make something from waste so all my logs racks have cost me nothing or very little (nails + paint).  Also there is something about a log burner in the house that is nice.  I've had gas fires and it is just not the same.

What would worry me is that it wouldn't increase the resale value of the house, so great if you stay in the house for 30 years but...

I invested £300 in a stove and £1000 having two chimneys relined 35 years ago, I replaced the stove for £1000 over a year ago. It would be interesting to have a stab at how much fossil fuel I have avoided over the time.

Say the stove runs 200 days a season and it is kept stoked for 12 hours and outputting 4kW. At today’s gas prices that's a maximum saving of £384 per year.

11 hours ago, Rossplym said:

If I had a internal flue I would look at putting the stove where my fire already is in the middle of the wall not in the corner. Would that be easier. It would go up through my bedroom and out the loft.

Try and get the flue internals you will get maximum heat from the chimney. You only need single skin too which will make it cheaper, except the bit that goes through the joists. It also help keeps the loft above freezing

I'd not be surprised if your stove runs more like 220 ish days a year (chilly nights in early September through to early may, a month at either end being sporadic). And a nominal 5KW stove usually has a min/max of around 3/7kW so your 4 kW estimate may be low too. However the cutting and splitting has to be fun or it's A BIG  chore.

32 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Try and get the flue internals you will get maximum heat from the chimney. You only need single skin too which will make it cheaper, except the bit that goes through the joists. It also help keeps the loft above freezing

And you would expect that to get signed off??