multi fuel burner installing prices without chimney.

hi everyone im interested in having a wood burner installed in my house, i got 2 people coming next week to give me quotes, i had a basic quote over email today and that was £4600 fitted i guess that was with the stove but with what i have been reading online that seemed very high. ok my house its a 2 bed terrace house and i was looking to have the flue go outside. anyone know if this price is good or too high. and would i be able to buy my own stove and have them install it or would that have to come from the installers too. and tips would be great thanks.

Edited by Rossplym

1 hour ago, Rossplym said:

hi everyone im interested in having a wood burner installed in my house, i got 2 people coming next week to give me quotes, i had a basic quote over email today and that was £4600 fitted i guess that was with the stove but with what i have been reading online that seemed very high. ok my house its a 2 bed terrace house and i was looking to have the flue go outside. anyone know if this price is good or too high. and would i be able to buy my own stove and have them install it or would that have to come from the installers too. and tips would be great thanks.

It will help if you give more detail such as what stove this is for.  Stoves can cost from £200 or so up to a couple of thousand, so this will make a huge difference.  Also a pic or two showing the situation ie is it good access single storey or four storey with no access?

Hi ok well he didn't say about the stove but if I could buy my own I would spend about £800 it's a two storey terrace house it would come out of the back wall.it will go where my current TV is I hope and the picture of the door out side it will be on the left of the door, not sure if the last picture would cause any problems, the stove would be atleast 30cm away from the stove maybe more.

IMG_20200125_171600.jpg

IMG_20200125_131051.jpg

MVIMG_20200125_130856.jpg

Are you planning on building a hearth? Also the curtains will have to go, to get it signed off stoves have to be a certain distance from combustibles. if I was you I would choose the stove and get a price off hetas approved installer and don’t use a stove shop as they will rip your arm off.

19 minutes ago, Dean1984 said:

A good installer will advise you on what you need to order or order it themselves. Where are you based? Also I would say if you spend £800 on a stove you should be looking at around £2000 all in as a rough guess

I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of twin wall flue to over the eaves plus all the brackets and fixings would exceed £1200 before you factor in the labour of cutting the hole through the cavity wall and fitting.

• Like 2

That’s more or less what I’ve just paid for a similar installation including a £1400 stove. Most of the cost goes on the twin wall flue which will generally cost more than the stove , plus as you are going through the wall it could be a day and a half installation. So I don’t think it’s a bad price, you just need to confirm what stove they have quoted and once they have seen the job in the flesh the price will likely change.