Bedroom sign for the nieces.

trigger_andy

I have used a router free hand to do signs in the past, put a walnut stain in the letters to make them stand out, the ones for indoors I just waxed, Briwax,  the outdoor ones I varnished.
The sign you have done looks very similar to one of the ones I did, the pieces of oak were from the drawer fronts of a very old chest of drawers that was getting chucked and I rescued, well bits of it.

I think the walnut stain looks good. :) first coat of Danish oil on now. IMG_5776.jpg
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Makita. Nice wee toy. ?

10140_P?%24p%24 WWW.SCREWFIX.COM
Order online at Screwfix.com. A compact, powerful router trimmer with a high quality, solid aluminium body. Lightweight tool offers greater flexibility and is ideal for trimming, edge forming, slot cutting, decorative work and many other uses. Supplied with wrenches and guides. FREE next day delivery available, free collection in 5 minutes.
I've recently bought the same one. Got it as a kit, to turn it into a normal router.

Very cool! How on earth did you route out those wee letters? [emoji50] 

I might buy the other bits you get in the kit at a later date. But I now have three Routers and not sure if I need it. [emoji3] But this wee Router is great for small pieces, so we'll see. 

Haha, I've got 3 routers as well, all makita corded ones, but going to invest in a battery one as soon as I can, probably the ryobi one, as I have started using there gear and its ideal just for maintenance work at the hospital where I work.

Looks fine mate.
I've got the Bosch GKF600 and I would recommend getting some fine bits for small lettering and details, think I have a 3mm and a 1mm.
Did you glue a print out on to the wood first? I find that works best for me with freehand stuff.
I'll try and add a link to something I did recently.

2 hours ago, wisewood said:

think I have a 3mm and a 1mm.

Yes, I do need to get some smaller bits. Any recommendation? 

2 hours ago, wisewood said:

Did you glue a print out on to the wood first? I find that works best for me with freehand stuff.

I followed a trick someone posted on-line. Clear packing tape all over the piece. Then spray glue, then position the paper template. Then another payer of clear packing tape over the top. The last layer of packing tape is to help the Router glide over the piece. When done you simply rip everything off in one go and save yourself a lot of Sanding. 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 1