Bedroom sign for the nieces.

trigger_andy

Nothing impressive but thought I'd post up anyway. :D 

Bought a Trim Router and thought Id have a play. Printed off some templates for the Nieces Bedroom and routed them out of a scrap piece of Oak I had in the shop. 

Some scorch marks that I could not control as I could not run the router around quicker as it was free hand and Id hate to have to do two passes and bugger up the second pass. But any advice very welcome. 

Not sure if I should colour the letters or leave them clear? Any advice on finish? Im a stickler for Danish Oil, but maybe there is something more suitable? 

I quite like this, can see me investing in a few more bits for more detailed routing. 

I was gonna add some flowers, or love hearts in the blank spaces around the word 'bedroom' so the sign looks less like an office sign but both failed as I dont have a suitable bit. 

84091923_917681065296129_699096074492575744_n.jpg

83314495_154805485955054_4541369784519884800_n.jpg

• Like 8

I like that, nice and quirky. I like playing about with things like this. Cant really help with a suitable finish as I just use owt at hand and experimenting. I bought a load of different style stencils, draw on the wood and then just router along the lines. Just have fun experimenting. I use colour glitter glue and allsorts of weird and wacky things.

• Like 1

Just now, eggsarascal said:

It'd look alright to a blind man on a galloping hoss.

only joking, i like the fact that it's freehand/rough round the edges.

It actually looks a fair bit worse in the pics. I just looked at what I just posted and it looks like Christopher Robin made it. :D 

7 minutes ago, harvey b davison said:

I like that, nice and quirky. I like playing about with things like this. Cant really help with a suitable finish as I just use owt at hand and experimenting. I bought a load of different style stencils, draw on the wood and then just router along the lines. Just have fun experimenting. I use colour glitter glue and allsorts of weird and wacky things.

Any pics? 

I have used a router free hand to do signs in the past, put a walnut stain in the letters to make them stand out, the ones for indoors I just waxed, Briwax,  the outdoor ones I varnished.

The sign you have done looks very similar to one of the ones I did, the pieces of oak were from the drawer fronts of a very old chest of drawers that was getting chucked and I rescued, well bits of it.

Really good end result.  'Freehand' has a lot more charm. 

If you'd used a stencil/template - might have looked more like a memorial plaque.

Incidentally - what router did you use? 

I tried something similar with a half-inch Triton and I was never in control.  Glad I've still got all my fingers!  I suspect this is much easier with a palm router....

• Like 1

Really good end result.  'Freehand' has a lot more charm. 

If you'd used a stencil/template - might have looked more like a memorial plaque.

Incidentally - what router did you use? 

I tried something similar with a half-inch Triton and I was never in control.  Glad I've still got all my fingers!  I suspect this is much easier with a palm router....

I bought a Makita. Nice wee toy. ?

WWW.SCREWFIX.COM

Order online at Screwfix.com. A compact, powerful router trimmer with a high quality, solid aluminium body. Lightweight tool offers greater flexibility and is ideal for trimming, edge forming, slot cutting, decorative work and many other uses. Supplied with wrenches and guides. FREE next day delivery available, free collection in 5 minutes.
  • Like 1