Best lawn mower for commercial work.

Guest Gimlet

2 hours ago, aspenarb said:

We took on some mowing a few years ago and ended up with a bit of an arsenal of mowers, the rounds grew and ended up needing all sorts including and aebi.

Bob

Yeah, I always swore I was done with mowing, but I bought a JDX165 for £700 last year and fixed the transaxle leak. It's been brilliant- we have a few church contracts and it's made them actually profitable.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I Have tried a few mowers in the 500-700 range and the latest ones husqvarna LC353V have been good machines for the money and probably the best value for money ones in my opinion .they are about £420 new and have found its more cost effective to sell them at the end of a busy season for 250 and buy new again

The Honda hrx models are also ok but 3x the money and seem to be prone to gearbox issues and big heavy things to get into a van.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

though our grass workload is now much less, what I ended up doing is buying two Honda powered Mountfields from Screwfix when they were on sale. This is the latest version:

Order online at Screwfix.com. Powered by the Honda GCV170 Autochoke 167cc engine. Designed to provide an...

Thing is, they often drop them down to around £300+VAT in spring. That's the time to buy.

I have this mower and its being fine but   doesn't  bag  unless you take the fabric bag off and clean it  inside which is a hassle.

Was thinking of getting a side discharge

Any recommendations for a side discharge for under £500?

I found this though it looked ok spec?

I bought a new Toro Turfmaster in the UK before I headed out to France, cost me a grand on eBay, €2400 here.

Twin blade, 76cm cut, Kawasaki commercial engine.

It has the option for collection bag or side eject mulcher.

One thing I really like is the engine keeps running without the blades being engaged whilst you empty the bag, saves a lot of stop/starting.

Had it a year, cutting an acre twice a week, never dropped a beat so far.

Edited by 5thelement
  • Like 1

On 08/03/2020 at 14:42, Jack.P said:

I Have tried a few mowers in the 500-700 range and the latest ones husqvarna LC353V have been good machines for the money and probably the best value for money ones in my opinion .they are about £420 new and have found its more cost effective to sell them at the end of a busy season for 250 and buy new again

The Honda hrx models are also ok but 3x the money and seem to be prone to gearbox issues and big heavy things to get into a van.

Another vote for the Husky mower here.  We bought one when we bought the new gaff about 10 yrs ago.  Significantly cheaper than the Honda equivalent but still with a Honda engine.  Massive collection bag and high handle were the deal clinchers for us.  Not a massive area of grass (about half an acre) but it is still running on the original spark plug and oil and hasn;t missed a beat since we bought it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, waterbuoy said:

Another vote for the Husky mower here.  We bought one when we bought the new gaff about 10 yrs ago.  Significantly cheaper than the Honda equivalent but still with a Honda engine.  Massive collection bag and high handle were the deal clinchers for us.  Not a massive area of grass (about half an acre) but it is still running on the original spark plug and oil and hasn;t missed a beat since we bought it.

If you wish it to continue running so fantastically, might I be the first to suggest that you change the oil?!

It may not have shit the bed yet due to a complete absence of (very cheap) preventative maintenance, but thre's no reason to tempt fate. A failure due to shitty oil isn't like just swapping a spark plug when that fails.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, 5thelement said:

I bought a new Toro Turfmaster in the UK before I headed out to France, cost me a grand on eBay, €2400 here.

Twin blade, 76cm cut, Kawasaki commercial engine.

It has the option for collection bag or side eject mulcher.

One thing I really like is the engine keeps running without the blades being engaged whilst you empty the bag,, saves a lot of stop/starting.

Had it a year, cutting an acre twice a week, never dropped a beat so far.

Thanks for information. I had the opportunity to evaluate this issue while looking for a new honda mower.