Best lawn mower for commercial work.

Guest Gimlet

10 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Ah, Chinese engine. Fuck that.

The Honda engine went bang on our little Pred grinder last year, after very little use, just started burning oil, replaced with a Loncin engine and runs far better than the honda ever did and for a fraction of the price!

• Like 1

I have had both scenarios where we went cheap and replaced the worst mowers every year and it worked out fine. But every time you empty the grass box you have to restart the machine, also when traveling on hard areas the blade is still spinning if the engine is running causing risk to the operator and anyone close to you from flying debris and grit.

We moved to commercial mowers with a blade brake, and anti vibe handlebars. Mowers are heavy and expensive but in our case John Deere carry the spare parts and have a good delivery system. as the blade is off when traveling on hard areas all the risk of flying debris is removed. On our industrial sites they specify commercial push mowers with blade brakes for any operations on their sites so as this is a large portion of our works it was a no brainer to invest in the proper machines and we have the benefits of these machines for all the other sites we service.

Given the vote of confidence in Loncin engines I'm minded to give the Titan 21" a go at £350. Or the Screwfix Honda option. But the Loncin engine has a lot more power for the same money. The parish council and church yard work isn't every week and the grass is pretty coarse and gets long between cuts. The ground is too uneven for sit and rides so I reckon a walk behind wants to be at least 6 hp. 

The smaller machines would be perfect for domestic gardens but it would be handy to have something that would do it all, bearing in mind that I'm only just starting and building up business so I can't yet guarantee an annual chuckaway mower.

Looking close up at the pics of the Titan, my only reservation is it does look rather plasticky and Stiga-ish which makes me wonder whether it'll make the year before bits start falling off.

WWW.TITAN-PRO.CO.UK

The most reliable 21" cut you can buy - our 53cm mower offers the best cut you could ask for!

Alternatively, if I went large pro this is tempting:

WWW.MORETHANMOWERS.CO.UK

Buy the Toro Timemaster 20976 Lawn Mower - ideal lawnmower for large garden, lightweight and easy to...

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

, my only reservation is it does look rather plasticky and Stiga-ish which makes me wonder whether it'll make the year before bits start falling off.

Not quite sure where the anti-Stiga thing comes from. Stiga mowers are really good, so good in fact that I have dropped sales of my previous brands of JD, Hayter and Alko mowers to concentrate solely on Stiga product.

Although I do sell Tanaka hand held rather than the Stiga.

5 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Given the vote of confidence in Loncin engines I'm minded to give the Titan 21" a go at £350. Or the Screwfix Honda option. But the Loncin engine has a lot more power for the same money. The parish council and church yard work isn't every week and the grass is pretty coarse and gets long between cuts. The ground is too uneven for sit and rides so I reckon a walk behind wants to be at least 6 hp. 

The smaller machines would be perfect for domestic gardens but it would be handy to have something that would do it all, bearing in mind that I'm only just starting and building up business so I can't yet guarantee an annual chuckaway mower.

Looking close up at the pics of the Titan, my only reservation is it does look rather plasticky and Stiga-ish which makes me wonder whether it'll make the year before bits start falling off.

WWW.TITAN-PRO.CO.UK

The most reliable 21" cut you can buy - our 53cm mower offers the best cut you could ask for!

Alternatively, if I went large pro this is tempting:

WWW.MORETHANMOWERS.CO.UK

Buy the Toro Timemaster 20976 Lawn Mower - ideal lawnmower for large garden, lightweight and easy to...

I've not heard good reviews of Timemaster. Toro 21 inch Heavy Duty i have had for years. Great machine but not in the wet. Best wet collect was AS Motor mower, but avoid them- belt bust from a fault. Expensive and disposable- over engineered and too complex to take apart and reassemble- for me.Thinking of getting a snapper NX 90...

Edited by richyrich
Spelling

I have one of thoose honda mountfields ok but abit weak on wet grass or  longer grass as it can clog up easy. Thinking a  pricey commercial machine would pick up and get though long grass better but dunno....

Gave someone my an   izy that was bought new in  1989, its not had a oil change, or new blade  and the engine still going strong though half the  alu deck has fallen off now. They do tend leave it outside in the rain for months and mow/scalp a 1 acre lawn and field covered in mole hills for last 5 yrs but it just refuses to die.  ?

Think new izy would of died but older ones were better quality.

Edited by Stere