Dealing with awkward jobs

Jack.P

Allot of very good advice here ! I unfortunately come across this kind of behaviour and far worse often as I spend 99 percent of my time taking trees out of a urban environment people's perception of our profession and their entitlement to offer there views on things that do not concern them in any way will never cease to amaze me I've hadl police called to 3 sights lost count of the amount of times people have rang the council never once have any of these phone calls been warranted all work above board and has been explained to whomever had the issue! I honestly think trees bring some sort of deranged sence of entitlement to decide what other people are do with there properly! I used to get angry and let it spoil the day or job now I just calmly explain what is going to happen and that nothing they say or video is going to change that just make sure u are in the right before actually doing whatever work ur doing never take a client's word as the truth!

• Like 5

had one just the otherday.

cut off literally 5  1 inch thick little branches that overhung a fence by about 2ft. over a section of communal land for one of the home owners. 

Woman come out saying i ruined her privacy. Wasnt interested in speaking to her neighbour,  or listening to anything other than her own voice.

Best part of it was these branches were BEHIND her garage! no way on earth she could see them!

the guys and i were all a little speechless tbh that she would make a fuss about something she cant actually see!

but ive found the crazies are great in number and of all colours and creeds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

Allot of very good advice here ! I unfortunately come across this kind of behaviour and far worse often as I spend 99 percent of my time taking trees out of a urban environment people's perception of our profession and the entitlement to offer there views on things that do not concern them in any way will never cease to amaze me I've police called to 3 sights lost count of the amount of times people have rang the council never once have any of these phone calls been warranted all work above board and has been explained to whomever had the issue! I honestly think trees bring some sort of deranged sence of either entitlement to decide what other people are with there properly! I used to get angry and let it spoil the day or job now I just calmly explain what is going to happen and that nothing they say or video is going to change that just make sure u are in the right before actually doing whatever work ur doing never take a client's word as the truth!

I was felling dead Elms on the headland of a field in a village near me . Dead Elms were covered in ivy ( like they are ) Mrs Fuckingtontwattface came out and said I was willfully " chopping " down perfectly good trees  and the police will be here and arrest me . I smiled and said good morning to you . Carried on until job was finished . Never saw plod or any one to be fair . Some toss pots just can't help them selves .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had one today very similar, reducing the tips off a sycamore that’s over our cilents bungalow. Neighbour came out complaining it’s not long going looking natural from here patio, bearing in mind the tips are right on the bungalow and it was only 2m spec.

Kept my cool and basically said it’s none of your business as it’s not your tree. Best bit is couple hours later she came round and asked for the some Logs from another tree we were taking down!!! No chance [emoji23]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I was felling dead Elms on the headland of a field in a village near me . Dead Elms were covered in ivy ( like they are ) Mrs Fuckingtontwattface came out and said I was willfully " chopping " down perfectly good trees  and the police will be here and arrest me . I smiled and said good morning to you . Carried on until job was finished . Never saw plod or any one to be fair . Some toss pots just can't help them selves .

I can better that:aetsch:

When employed on a LA tree gang we had TM with single lane working - dismantling a dead elm. 

Fellow stopped his car in the middle of the lights, wound his window down to ask who had given us 'permission' to fell that healthy tree. He was told we didn't need it, we were the council.

Still not satisfied he wanted to know why it was coming down, such a healthy looking tree and he had to inform us that, as a tax payer he contributed to our wages.

"Cos it's got Dutch Elm Disease and it's dead"

Bearing in mind this was June or July

"But, but, how do you know that it's dead?" he spluttered.

One of the lads just lost the plot then and answered,

"Cos it's got no F**k**g leaves on you daft ****. Here's ten p, your contribution to my wages, now F off and let this traffic you're holding up get on with their lives"

We all got dragged in the managers officer that afternoon and swore blind that it was just a malicious complaint. :D

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Some interesting reading here .another one which really winds me up is where I’m doing grounds maintenance type work on day rate and after already getting a lot of work lined up for the day i then get confronted with another job from the client ‘’which won’t take 5 minutes’’ or I’ve had it before half way through a job and they want to start something else don’t understand it

52 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

I can better that:aetsch:

When employed on a LA tree gang we had TM with single lane working - dismantling a dead elm. 

Fellow stopped his car in the middle of the lights, wound his window down to ask who had given us 'permission' to fell that healthy tree. He was told we didn't need it, we were the council.

Still not satisfied he wanted to know why it was coming down, such a healthy looking tree and he had to inform us that, as a tax payer he contributed to our wages.

"Cos it's got Dutch Elm Disease and it's dead"

Bearing in mind this was June or July

"But, but, how do you know that it's dead?" he spluttered.

One of the lads just lost the plot then and answered,

"Cos it's got no F**k**g leaves on you daft ****. Here's ten p, your contribution to my wages, now F off and let this traffic you're holding up get on with their lives"

We all got dragged in the managers officer that afternoon and swore blind that it was just a malicious complaint. :D

Which it was!

• Like 2

I was reducing a big lime in a churchyard and it was at the stage where the top was off (with a high tie in left in place) but not the sides so it looked a bit bizarre.

I had a climber up the tree and the vicar came up and expressed grave reservations about what we were doing, “don't worry I said, it’ll be right”

We were finishing up and he came back and apologised for his previous statement and congratulated us on the final job.

I don’t know where it came from but from somewhere I quoted the Bible.

”there is more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents....”

• Like 2
  • Haha 3