Working Distance from final distribution substation?

benedmonds

I’ve always worked around / next to them. Got a couple that I have to hop into the enclosure to finish some hedge trimming on each year. Chap from SSE said they were no bother. I don’t suppose I’d be around to moan at him if I proved him wrong ......

Generally pretty safe. They are outdoor transformers, low voltage (compared to some of the really big ones), and made pretty robust. If there was any danger then the fence or wall around it would be a lot more secure - for example secure enough to stop a child climbing over to rescue a stray football (the power companies hate headlines that might produce). The cabinet next to it also contains electrical stuff and should be treated with the same respect and caution as the transformer.

Obviusly though you are dealing with electrical equipment and the enclosure is the owners private land, fenced off for a reason - if you need to get in there (or I guess work over it) then you should really get in touch with them and let them know and grant access.

The best thing to do is to contact the local DNO – Distribution Network Operator as it is illegal to enter a substation without permission and correct competency, if caught doing so could end up in serious trouble. The best thing to do is speak with the DNO and seek advice as they will be more happy to help as it is in there interest to maintain trees around the electrical equipment.

For more information see link below:  

It's a ground mounted transformer. They're very safe. All the HV and LV cable ends are contained within the body of the transformer, which itself will be earthed.

My day job is an overhead linesman for a distribution company so i deal with this stuff every day. It's always worth ringing your local DNO for advice....which will be Western Power Distribution in your area (0800 096 3080). Give them the substation number which should be clearly written on the entrance to the sub. They'll send someone out free of charge and either arrange to do proximity work themselves or organise an outage where you can carry out the work with all electrical kit turned off and earthed.

In this instance, i'm fairly sure they'd send out a lines team to trim whatever needed trimming in and around the substation up to a point where you could safely take over. They shouldn't let you into the substation compound itself as by rights you need a written substation access authorisation, and that's a bit of a ball ache to get for anyone outside of the industry.

If you could deal with the brash they cut too, they'd be more than grateful!

• Like 1