Why are UK stoves so basic?

neiln

I read a fair bit on the US based sites and it strikes me that the stoves they have are much more capable than anything in our market.  Many stoves with fans/blowers to shift heat off the stove, and also many catalytic stoves with a cat matrix above the firebox to burn the smoke.  This then allows them to be loaded full of wood but run low, the wood in the firebox smolders but the cat burn the smoke so emissions are clean, and with most of the heat coming off the cat the firebox itself can smolder really slow so a load of wood can last many many many hours.  Stoves such as the Blaze King Princess add thermostatic control to this, not sure but probably just a bimetallic strip type thing like a thermostatic shower valve, the user sets a temp on the knob and the stove varies the burn rate to auto adjust as the load burns down to coals.

Why do we not have stove like this in the UK?  I can see that the market would be somewhat small by comparison, but I'm a bit surprised it's not big enough for someone to start importing these US stoves.  I'd be interested to hear from both stove owners and users if they wold like these kind of stoves, and from our resident stove retailers on if they think they would or wouldn't sell.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, neiln said:

I read a fair bit on the US based sites and it strikes me that the stoves they have are much more capable than anything in our market.  Many stoves with fans/blowers to shift heat off the stove, and also many catalytic stoves with a cat matrix above the firebox to burn the smoke.  This then allows them to be loaded full of wood but run low, the wood in the firebox smolders but the cat burn the smoke so emissions are clean, and with most of the heat coming off the cat the firebox itself can smolder really slow so a load of wood can last many many many hours.  Stoves such as the Blaze King Princess add thermostatic control to this, not sure but probably just a bimetallic strip type thing like a thermostatic shower valve, the user sets a temp on the knob and the stove varies the burn rate to auto adjust as the load burns down to coals.

Why do we not have stove like this in the UK?  I can see that the market would be somewhat small by comparison, but I'm a bit surprised it's not big enough for someone to start importing these US stoves.  I'd be interested to hear from both stove owners and users if they wold like these kind of stoves, and from our resident stove retailers on if they think they would or wouldn't sell.

Back in the 70s I had a Parkray hopper fed stove that had a thermostatic valve that you describe . It also heated the hot water and 5 rads so not that new .

• Like 1

Maybe fancy stoves need more maintinace and are more fussy about buring wet wood as it  would clog them up....

UK people  most burn wet wood and do not want to do any maintenace or learn how to use a fancy  stove ?

My theory anyway.

Edited by Stere

4 minutes ago, neiln said:

Whole house Vs room heater definitely a part I think, so perhaps house layouts and design drive that? 

My Burly heats the whole house . We leave all

the internal doors open and it heats upstairs pretty well . The central heating goes off within 15 mins of the stove being alight with the stat set at 19degrees .

• Like 2

Not sure when I last had the storage heaters on.... I took one off the wal about 18 mbths ago (it was getting in the way). We do exist in the UK heating our houses with the stove. In the US though, houses are larger and I suspect they have more room for decent covered log stores

10 hours ago, Stubby said:

My Burly heats the whole house . We leave all

the internal doors open and it heats upstairs pretty well . The central heating goes off within 15 mins of the stove being alight with the stat set at 19degrees .

Same here. No heating on at all when the stoves lit

My single biggest regret was not designing the house around the stove/stoves, in that a centrally located stove in the spacious hall, would have comfortably heated the hall and upstairs, with another one for the kitchen living room space.

A neighbour who started after us incorporated a fireplace in his hall, as soon as I saw his layout I realized my mistake or ommission.

But one really needs a well insulated  openplan house design for stove heating to work.

• Like 1