Jappa 300 problems?

defender tipper

Evening all

My Jappa 300 has started cutting to one side,fairly bad to the extent of the bar jaming in the wood

the bar is a week old and looks straight, has proberbly cut 30m3,looking at the chain I cant see any reason why it would cut to one side

I sharpened it up anyway and managed another 2m3 and back to the same thing, Any Ideas much appriciated! Im at my witts end with the thing.

12 minutes ago, htb said:

Have you turned the bar or dressed the rails. Ideally put new bar and chain on and see if it cures it, you will need them soon enough anyway

I got a new chain today,and will dress the rails in the ,morning and try that,not much out of a £60 bar though,I keep a bar for years on my chainsaws,must be a whole different ball game these processors.

Remember saw can move in your hands to follow a curving cut. Processer bar works in a fixed plane, wood clamped so no real movement available hence sharpening and bar dressing important. Is it a special/unique bar on a jappa

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, htb said:

Remember saw can move in your hands to follow a curving cut. Processer bar works in a fixed plane, wood clamped so no real movement available hence sharpening and bar dressing important. Is it a special/unique bar on a jappa

The bar and chain are from Husquvana,one of those aliminium core things,wonder if there is a more durable out fit.

Nearly all processors run standard bars but wear relatively fast because you're always cutting in the same spot. They also tend to wear more heavily on the one side because the log falls one way.

Have you tried turning the bar upside down to rule out a damaged rail? Or putting an old one/spare on to rule out a bent mount. I'm assuming you've tried a different chain and the sprockets fine.

7 hours ago, gdh said:

Nearly all processors run standard bars but wear relatively fast because you're always cutting in the same spot. They also tend to wear more heavily on the one side because the log falls one way.

Have you tried turning the bar upside down to rule out a damaged rail? Or putting an old one/spare on to rule out a bent mount. I'm assuming you've tried a different chain and the sprockets fine.

Yes I have turned the bar,but that was before it started playing up,,I have a new chain and the sproket has no wear on it,should know more when I get home tonight,it is a standard Husky bar and chain,my other problem is sharpening the chain,cant do it on the machine and trying to run it round an old bar in a vice is very hard,cant get any pressure on it any very wobble.

50 minutes ago, defender tipper said:

Yes I have turned the bar,but that was before it started playing up,,I have a new chain and the sproket has no wear on it,should know more when I get home tonight,it is a standard Husky bar and chain,my other problem is sharpening the chain,cant do it on the machine and trying to run it round an old bar in a vice is very hard,cant get any pressure on it any very wobble.

For the sharpening off the machine a spare bar works fine IME but sounds like your spare is badly worn. There shouldn't be very much wobble