Removing shear nuts from palisade fencing

Joe Newton

7 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Very nice, what does one have to type into Google for that to come up?

Its not a shear nut removal tool its a shear collar removal tool. Loads of different flavours of the same thing, the serrated one above is automotive but will bite into any collar and do the job.

This will probably do the job.

WWW.EBAY.IE

AIRCRAFT AEROSPACE TOOLS USED OMEGA REM100-10S HI LOK COLLAR REMOVAL TOOL |...

Edited by aspenarb

• 1 year later...
On 21/01/2020 at 15:48, spandit said:

I have some 1/2" sockets with a reverse thread designed for taking nuts and studs out. I imagine with a decent cordless impact gun you could grip the nuts although I seem to recall the bolts will just turn if you try

WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

Unique design that securely grips and removes stubborn nuts and bolts. Reverse spiral flutes bite down for maximum...

Just bought a set of these for this purpose I’ll see how they go 

15 hours ago, roseyweb said:

Just bought a set of these for this purpose I’ll see how they go 

I see in my original post I said angle driver when I mean angle grinder.

Also as I said if you gently tap the dome head on the other side to the shear nut you can often onscrew with your fingers.

Failing that I used below 1/2" square drive with a static lump hammer on the dome head and the grip nut on the other. You have to sharpen the grip nuts with a dremel after use, @aspenarb's serrated socket looks better. Back then I didn't have a decent cordless impact driver

6259d2769d496ead.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

20 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I see in my original post I said angle driver when I mean angle grinder.

Also as I said if you gently tap the dome head on the other side to the shear nut you can often onscrew with your fingers.

Failing that I used below 1/2" square drive with a static lump hammer on the dome head and the grip nut on the other. You have to sharpen the grip nuts with a dremel after use, @aspenarb's serrated socket looks better. Back then I didn't have a decent cordless impact driver

6259d2769d496ead.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Cheers 

spent many a hour trying to grind them off getting showered in sparks and measly putting grinder in face

looking forward to discovering a easier way 

Have never had to remove them but have had bolts on machinery which heads have be rounded off, find the easiest way is to go down through a nut and bolt thread rather then across it and have it spin round and round. 

Or if access is tight for grinder drill bolt thread out of nut but then you have to hold bolt to stop it spinning but no sparks is the benefits of doing it like that. 

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

go down through a nut and bolt thread

Yes if you use one of the thin flexible discs jut run down the side of the bolt to take out the thread and side of the  shear nut. Then tap the remainder loose. If there is a washer there no damage done to the paling.

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

I'm going to get reported looking at stuff on the work computer... the other night how to break into shipping containers and tonight how to take apart palisade fencing. 

If you are looking at taking the nut off, would a nut splitter work in fence?

No due to the shape of the nut they ride up as you increase the pressure

• Like 1