Removing shear nuts from palisade fencing

Joe Newton

After a bit of advice, just looked at a failed ash being held up by ivy over a palisade fence. Nothing to winch the tree off so the best bet is to remove a section of the fence by removing said shear nuts.

I know there's a few fancy types on here so can anyone give me any pointers before I grind the fuckers off?

I have some 1/2" sockets with a reverse thread designed for taking nuts and studs out. I imagine with a decent cordless impact gun you could grip the nuts although I seem to recall the bolts will just turn if you try

WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

Unique design that securely grips and removes stubborn nuts and bolts. Reverse spiral flutes bite down for maximum...

Edited by spandit
  • Like 1

Are you cutting the pales or rails, if you can just remove the m12 rail bolts a sharp cold chisel and they will turn the head is a m12 square, if the pales are d section then squeeze with a g clamp and they will undo by hand . If not careful use of a 4 1/2 inch grinder try not to damage the galvaniseing. 

On 21/01/2020 at 15:48, spandit said:

I have some 1/2" sockets with a reverse thread designed for taking nuts and studs out. I imagine with a decent cordless impact gun you could grip the nuts although I seem to recall the bolts will just turn if you try

WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

Unique design that securely grips and removes stubborn nuts and bolts. Reverse spiral flutes bite down for maximum...

Angle driver and cold chisel is faster but I used to carry these above and an old fashioned 1/2" impact  driver and two lump hammers plus 4 replacement shear nuts to put it all back together.

It's surprising  how tapping the dome nut will often allow you to undo the shear nut by hand.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aspenarb said:

The proper tool for this is not that expensive, looks like a hole saw with the teeth facing the wrong way.

Bob

images.jpg.9a18a801d19a49d74e02542c6050a802.jpg

I presume miscreants and pikies are not allowed to purchase these tools, 'cos it kinda makes a nonsense o the whole "anti tamper" thinngy otherwise.

They developed and are marketing it.

7 minutes ago, difflock said:

I presume miscreants and pikies are not allowed to purchase these tools, 'cos it kinda makes a nonsense o the whole "anti tamper" thinngy otherwise.

• Like 1