What do you use to store logs by the fire?

Rob_the_Sparky

11 hours ago, neiln said:

A snazzy stainless steel U type thing that about 12 hours worth of logs stack in and it has the companion tools hang from it.  It passed the appearance test well.  It doesn't contain the debris.  It's not so much the bark.... Rather the little black dots of, I guess, insect shit, that drop everywhere!  

Yeah, seen lots of this type of design on-line, they look very pretty but some are not big enough and none contain the dirt, which is high on my list of requirements.  I think I'm probably looking at building something, similar to Witterings', or a wicker basket plus home made liner of some description.

7 hours ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

Yeah, seen lots of this type of design on-line, they look very pretty but some are not big enough and none contain the dirt, which is high on my list of requirements.  I think I'm probably looking at building something, similar to Witterings', or a wicker basket plus home made liner of some description.

Just so you know where I got the idea from I just googled indoor log store and hit images as per link below and scrolled through them all

This was the one I did it closest to

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Found on Google from pinterest.com

Just for info, it does keep the loose debris in as well, you can see I put a "border" on the bottom / to the side and generally push the logs back so they're just behind the border which I'm sure helps retain most of the bits.

I've subsequently put a divider down the middle behind the main strut just for better "rotation" of what's driest and when one sides empty just stick the pointy bit of the hoover in to suck up anything from the floor. 

The other thing I love about it, the wires that came out of the stereo that was previously standing on a unit were everywhere and a complete freaking mess.

The shelf is 2 boards deep and then a 60mm strip at the rear which is enough to get a UK plug down through. 

I decided where I wanted the stereo etc. placed and pulled all the wires together with a big re-usable zip tie and then cut the strip to the correct size either side of the wires and put it back on with some supports coming from underneath with "retainers" to stop them moving.

Lastly I got some hardboard and placed it as a false back painted in the same wood dye, made a cut in the middle and secured both pieces held in place with a couple of kitchen door magnets, drilled 2 holes and put a quality bit of 3/4mm rope from a chandlers through them to create a loop ... something to get hold of so I can pull it off the magnets and slide one of the pieces to the side to easily access the wall plugs / wiring behind.

It's transformed an area that looked like a bombsite to being a feature instead whilst serving 2 useful purposes for very little money .... in relative terms.

Anyway hope either that or some of the links I provided are of help.

Edited by Witterings
  • Like 2

I use a wicker cradle U shape basket, I have had it years, wasn't cheap but very sturdy. I used a piece of carpet (upside down Hessian up)to line it and it stops all the dust and bits falling through. Worth getting something made well as it will last a life time.

Basket.thumb.jpg.96a8cd88d15d7a6f525838ebcc788d30.jpg

Nice basket spud, i’m not posting a pic of my wood holding contraption, you’d all rib me a new one cos it stands out like a sore thumb!!
  • Like 1

C,mon don,t be shy

I tend to just stack by fire either side if i’m honest gary, but i do have my wood transportation and holding device in the same room at all times! [emoji4] shall get a pic posted for ya when i finish work and get back home. Heres a pic of the normal every day for ya for now, i just vacuum the excess up before i restock, same time as i’m vacuuming up excess bonio and the likes! [emoji849]

IMG_3579.jpg
  • Like 2