MS261 M-Tronic Clutch Drum/Bearing/Crank

Heavy Oil Saw

the saw is long gone , went to a mechanic who reckoned he could fix it for less than the price of the new oem crank...he couldnt and still has it!!!

we changed ground saws and life is normal again....what does a needle bearing look like, lol.

none of this pocket full of needle bearings and hourly greasing nonsense that went with our 261.

shame as nice saw otherwise.

Unlikely unless it was caused by something else but stand to be corrected:cursing:
A good option is to whip the side cover and bar off every two months and give it the wobble test, changing the bearing if it does wobble.....put your thumb and finger on opposite sides of the drum and try to wobble the thing. If it wobbles 3-5mm on the edge then it is well on its way. If you put a new drum and bearing on your saw, just remember how it feels - only works if the crank isn't damaged though.
Also, if you put the chain brake on and the machine stalls...investigate the issue as the bearing has probably collapsed.

I like to check things over before use and clean and check after use. Not always possible for most people, and if it works when you put it away, it should work when it comes out again.
I’ll keep an eye on that area in particular. I’m used to checking turbo compressor and turbine bearings, and they can have the tiniest of movement and quite fiddly.

My old man ran a couple of 261’s that he used for Sitka regen clearance contracts , if your gonna kill a saw it’s the environment to do it... one of the lads 261’s dropped its crank after 1 week from new but for some reason my fathers kept going , one was is still going and never had a bearing grease !
I’ve found with stihl in typical true German arrogance though they won’t admit there is a problem even if there is one , I had a lot of bother with some machines and stopped buying any of there products until recently.. I don’t know if they have changed but they are making some good saws now !

• Like 1

I know there's good and bad.
My 261 has been faultless like most of the other saws.

Arrogance aside I often wish Stihl made cars....If I had a car as reliable as that saw**. I'd be a happy chappy!

**considering the environment it works in...the maintenance it requires etc.

I know there's good and bad.
My 261 has been faultless like most of the other saws.
Arrogance aside I often wish Stihl made cars....If I had a car as reliable as that saw**. I'd be a happy chappy!

**considering the environment it works in...the maintenance it requires etc.

This.
I wish stihl made transit tippers,
4x4's,
trailers,
6"-8" towable chippers,
stump grinders,
And 20HP chainsaws.
[emoji12][emoji106]
  • Haha 1

Part number - 1141 030 0400, looks like it is specific to the MS261 only. It is the cost (£165 ex VAT) plus the labour that kills any attempt to fix them. The work in splitting the bottom end of any saw is considerable and unless you are a good engineer, it will just not be economical to repair a mid cost saw like this.

Part number - 1141 030 0400, looks like it is specific to the MS261 only. It is the cost (£165 ex VAT) plus the labour that kills any attempt to fix them. The work in splitting the bottom end of any saw is considerable and unless you are a good engineer, it will just not be economical to repair a mid cost saw like this.

I was just wondering, as I’d seen that some parts were interchangeable.
I’ve got a crank, so I’ll just run it. Saving for the tools to split the case, and remove/fit crank. Already fitted the bearings, missus was out, and the kids ain’t grassed me up, yet. Bought the bearing tool, and the seal fitting tools are on their way.

Sounds expensive and a divorce will top it all:scared1:

What isn’t? I wanted to build an A or A+ Series engine, those ain’t cheap parts and all on exchange as well, well main bits like heads, cranks and that, but new house, things to do, and this is the compromise at the moment.
My wife likes me doing stuff like this, shows I don’t just talk myself up about what I’ve done and do at work [emoji23].
  • Like 1