Big beech trouble

RabSawMan

I think Steven and spud summed it up well.

No reason u couldn't tell a tree at that size with a 24" bar, all depends on the tree, and esp so with the rot where it's is.

Boring out the heart wood off hinge shouldn't make a big difference, chances are it will be the heart wood that is rotten anyway. 

Even in a healthy tree the majority of strength is in the outsides of hinge

U just got to know wot ur doing guage where the wieght is and any danger areas and make sure u position itself on the safe side towards the end.

Thanks to everyone for their words of advice, the biggest tree I have felled so far is around 30". granted it was a "handy" one it was growing on the side of a hill so it was leaning the correct way before I started gravity just helped it on it's way.

I totally get where you guys are coming from, I'll freely admit I dont have the experience felling those larger unsafe trees so I think it would be better on this occasion to get a man in with a 395. Especially so with the first child well on the way and a house just bought dont want to be taking any unnecessary risks. The consequences dont bear thinking about.

I found him through a friend of a friend if that makes sense, I think he might take payment in the form of a nice beech so it would be suit very well plenty of trees to go round ?

Eric yes those beech nearly always have rotten hardwood, I sawed up a windblown couple years ago and you wouldn't have thought there was anything wrong with the tree sign of any fungus above ground but the roots were all rotten. I was breaking them off the root ball with my bare hands. 

I will post some photos up when we do get round to getting the trees manufactured no doubt it will be an impressive sight a big saw happily chomping through a nice big stem or 4.  Those couple photos only show two of the worst trees at this particular farm, theres a lot more I have been sawing at will keep snapping pics. 

Thanks again everyone 

Rab