Stihl Ms230c plays up after about 5 minutes

kennyh

Hi guys. KennyH here.

I have a Stihl ms230c that is a bit of a Mellon.

This has had very little use. Recently needed to replace the ign coil and fuel lines. Done about 3 hours use since then but now after about 5 minute work it starts to miss then dies.

I do all my mechanical work so have been around a motors a lot. To me it sound like ign, so I put a timing light on it and it do's not flicker. Looks good. Rechecked fuel lines, filter, new plug. Apart from that the saw starts up and runs well. I have not got into the carb side of things. Has anyone got any ideas before I start stripping the fuel side of thing down.

Will be trying the breather before this.  

Hello and welcome

At a guess it could be that you use what fuel is primed into the carb then it cuts out because the impulse line is not working properly.

Some one will be  along with ten times more knowledge than I have to confirm this or not.

Edited by NFG

As you say - an engine spluttering to a stop is likely to be fuel issue, after 5 mins tank vent strong possibility. When it stops,  have you removed the tank filler cap and tried to restart it? You might even loosen the filter cap before then as it starts to cough and splutter, does it recover? The 5 minute time would vary dependent on amount of fuel in the tank. Does the 230 still have that vent pipe with 2 grub screws in it ? Easy fix if so.

But it could also be the other way around,  building up pressure in the tank, flooding the carb/engine if the needle valve in the carb isn't closing at pressure, less likely but possible.

Let us know how you get on. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

flooding the carb/engine if the needle valve in the carb isn't closing at pressure,

What kind of carb is that ? Needles and float bowls are for bikes and wouldn't work upside down in a saw situation. Metering valve would give different problems straight from the off so it sounds like a fuel starvation thing.

1 hour ago, peatff said:

What kind of carb is that ? Needles and float bowls are for bikes and wouldn't work upside down in a saw situation. Metering valve would give different problems straight from the off so it sounds like a fuel starvation thing.

Bog std Walbro or Zama carb I'd expect.

Assuming you start the saw from cold there is unlikely to be much pressure in the fuel tank,  you reply on the pump in the carb to deliver fuel to the metered side of the carb. This is controlled by the metering diaphragm in conjunction with the Needle Valve, ok call it a metering valve if you like. That's all pretty low pressure.

With running (think vibration) and heat you often get a build up of pressure in the tank (depending on breather type). If the needle valve were a bit suspect it mght not seal adequately.

Breather types - modern breathers are one way valves,  allow air in, don't allow fuel vapour out and cause pressure build up in tank.  Old breathers like 023 were a hose at the top of the tank with a grub screw (or pair of) in the pipe with a tiny drilling through - allow air flow in either direction. Not sure what version the 230 is. 

But anyway, fuel starvation is most likely, breather or otherwise.

Edited by bmp01
  • Like 1

Mmmm, er we go again. It is worth checking the piston as per the earlier post.

One thin rattling round my head, the "NEW" coil, was it OEM Stihl as the aftermarket ones can be pretty suspect. The other thing is that this coil, was it gapped to the flywheel correctly as I had a MS460 with a similar problem, it would die after 5 minutes and it was traced back to a too large flywheel to coil gap and every time the coil got warm after a bit of use, the spark would fail.

You can check the spark by taking an old plug and bending the end electrode out at 45 degrees or breaking it off then seeing if the coil will generate enough of a spark to jump the gap when held against the cylinder. Do check the gap though!!!

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 1