261/261c

lofty123

Evening all I've been handed 3 261 and a 261c from work the 261c is the newest so thats the one im working on atm. When fired it starts and runs like a bag of nails sounds like its 4 stroking and it will not rev when i press the throttle it just bogs but keeps running crap. out of interest i swapped the pot, piston, carb and ignition module of one of the 261 to see what it would do. Exactly the same problem. Any ideas the saws were free so not overly fussed if its a dead duck but interested to see if i can get any of them going.

I ain’t no small engine mechanic, but sounds like a fuel/air problem? Blocked filters, split/weak rubber somewhere, perished gasket? Knackered points, fouled, incorrect gapped spark plug? Blocked carburettor? New fuel correctly mixed?
If it’s m-tronic, nothing you can do with the carb to adjust, as it is auto adjusted by the the solenoid using the flywheel speed sensed by the coil (that has some sort of brain/ecu I think), and that’s it. Carb can still be gunked though.
If things seem like a fuel/air problem, I factory delete the filters if poss, and run on fresh fuel from clean Jerry can/jar. If it still runs rough, you’ve isolated fuel metering and delivery (carb is the fuel pump) and ignition.
If you’ve already covered these bases, sorry. Just wondering why you went through the trouble of changing the cylinder and what not? Was the cylinder scored?
A new solenoid is around £20.

52 minutes ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

I ain’t no small engine mechanic, but sounds like a fuel/air problem? Blocked filters, split/weak rubber somewhere, perished gasket? Knackered points, fouled, incorrect gapped spark plug? Blocked carburettor? New fuel correctly mixed?
If it’s m-tronic, nothing you can do with the carb to adjust, as it is auto adjusted by the the solenoid using the flywheel speed sensed by the coil (that has some sort of brain/ecu I think), and that’s it. Carb can still be gunked though.
If things seem like a fuel/air problem, I factory delete the filters if poss, and run on fresh fuel from clean Jerry can/jar. If it still runs rough, you’ve isolated fuel metering and delivery (carb is the fuel pump) and ignition.
If you’ve already covered these bases, sorry. Just wondering why you went through the trouble of changing the cylinder and what not? Was the cylinder scored?
A new solenoid is around £20.

Thats a good list . I would not worry about " knackered points " though ?

Evening all I've been handed 3 261 and a 261c from work the 261c is the newest so thats the one im working on atm. When fired it starts and runs like a bag of nails sounds like its 4 stroking and it will not rev when i press the throttle it just bogs but keeps running crap. out of interest i swapped the pot, piston, carb and ignition module of one of the 261 to see what it would do. Exactly the same problem. Any ideas the saws were free so not overly fussed if its a dead duck but interested to see if i can get any of them going.

Any luck with this?

Hi all thanks for all the replies im working on the theory that the carbs are goosed changed all of the common parts over to no avail so ordered a cheap Chinese carb to test with if that works il be chopping out the computer management and see how it goes

I got a cheap Chinese carb off fleabay an MS171, the main butterfly doesn’t open properly compared to the OEM. This was the cheapest I could find, as I was interested.

Side by side, then the Chinese copy, and finally OEM. I hope yours is better than mine. Gonna hurt mine with a dremel.

01781dee4023708fa314815d17abf166.jpgdbe552568dce45915b7a785b3602fddb.jpg9f64061eab043d025a839caee1602e9f.jpg

I’m looking forward to seeing how your project goes, here’s mine.b41803e946da067ed1949d22bdeb2bb1.jpg0776f3263b3eadf9c40bc5ff8becf144.jpg

Ignore the 3 in 1, that isn’t what I run in a chainsaw.