Quoting for a job

Jack.P

9 minutes ago, gdh said:

Are you felling everything or just tidying the site?

Hi yes it would be felling everything and leave it reasonably tidy afterwards 

i think chipping whole and sending for biomass could be the quickest way to get it done but less value in the timber 

It's going to depend on how tidy the trees are, for decent ones I would pay them £20 a ton standing. If you're selling them you could make a decent profit on 2 acres. That would be leaving the brash but you can get an awful lot done with a big chipper.

It might be worth asking around local biomass companies, there's one near us who will chip large amounts of brash for free in return for the chip then your only cost would be heaping it up ready.

Obviously hard to say without seeing the trees but it could well be you'll make enough without charging them.

• Like 2

Hi again .on closer inspection the site is nearer 3 acres on a rectangular plot with around 60% ash a lot of which are very large meaty trees and probably nearly as big as ash can grow .also some smaller ones have already partially fallen and become hung up in the canopy and a few others 4 or 5 are in a tricky spot which I would be hesitant in doing without maybe  having a crane in to take the top off first before dropping them

There is reasonable lorry access but not ideal .also I’ve heard now the brash could stay

i realise though 800 quid could easily be 10k for a thorough job 

3512EC96-F5E7-4663-9FFC-40A29C12019B.jpeg

D8238883-CD24-4EFE-A652-1AC32B879790.jpeg

9B3ADDF9-8BAE-4FEF-A1E8-82E35C2DDA1C.jpeg

A6C7121D-B2D6-4F1B-ACDD-2E4BF344A490.jpeg

45F3D4B1-92C3-4809-A1E6-88C255CC807F.jpeg

Costing aside, what's the reason for felling. What sort of charity is it? Just curious because it looks like a really nice woodland and I would have thought its amenity and woodland habitat value was quite high. Seems a shame to level it for biomass when there are stands of monoculture plantations with minimal wildlife diversity that can be chipped.

3 hours ago, Calamity Wayne said:

Costing aside, what's the reason for felling. What sort of charity is it? Just curious because it looks like a really nice woodland and I would have thought its amenity and woodland habitat value was quite high. Seems a shame to level it for biomass when there are stands of monoculture plantations with minimal wildlife diversity that can be chipped.

Hi it is used for recreational purposes and currently unsafe and unusable with many diseased ash trees .as mentioned it is just the ash that’s the problem 

also depending on the quality of the wood some big straight chunks might be able to be sold for milling