Tablet & software

Hi Drew 

I cannot speak from experience, because I have not used them, but there is a company called FastField that sell a service for designing forms that synchronise across mobile devices (you can find them on Google).

There is a cost that comes with that approach so, if you are like me and prefer to save money, I recommend using either Microsoft Word and Excel to produce a risk assessment and other site forms (i.e. method statement) on a PC or laptop and then copy them to the phone or tablet.

This is possible because Microsoft provide Word and Excel apps for mobile devices.

You could also design the forms on the phone or tablet and cut-out the PC or laptop stage, but I reckon that could be too fiddly.

My advice would be to create the forms as templates and then just re-use them for each site.

Another alternative, which avoids the annual fee for using Microsoft, is to use Google's excellent and free word processor and spreadsheet that form part of their Google Docs suite of apps.

In this case, you could design the template on the PC and then open them on the mobile device, as required.

I like the Google Docs option because you can set each form to automatically synchronise with the mobile device, so that any changes made while sitting at your desk (i.e. adding site name and other details to the templates you create) will then appear on your mobile device.

Also, there are settings that ensure that the document is automatically downloaded to the phone memory rather than rely on the cloud, which is useful for people like me who work in areas without a mobile signal (i.e. many parts of the Highlands).

It shouldn't bee too painful to do this and get things set-up right, but I guess it depends on how much time you have to experiment.

Hope that helps.

Tim 

I looked into a similar solution for a client a few months back albeit a bit more indepth that simple risk assessments. I actually started a thread on here also, which led me to iauditor. Theres a free version you can download and try.

https://safetyculture.com/iauditor/?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=700038670&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=iauditor&adgroup=39375756627&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9orxBRD0ARIsAK9JDxR1rEQcY8pYf9KJHSyWM6OisnmsMkoWiK_KQIZMbbifQ_K2uG9-25gaApN5EALw_wcB

That's an interesting link, Steve.  I had not heard of them.

Fastfield, the company I mentioned in my reply to Drew, came to my attention because a fence contractor I know was working for Network Rail a lot and wanted a mobile based system that his staff could use to plan for safety, make records of site monitoring, take site photos and record progress (etcetera).  In the end, he decided to make do with his paper system, but I think Iauditor could be of interest, so I'll pass it on.

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...