Help identifying my wood burner

14 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

Many stove manufacturers have moved to vermiculite baffle plates over the last few years,  dont really know why but they dont warp and also dont ever seem to crack as they never come into contact with logs just thrown into a stove and wacking the side brick against the side of the stove.

A

I'd say it is because the firebox temperatures of a modern stove with insulated sides and back are much higher than a traditional cast iron box. The baffle has  the firebox  temperature underneath and the not much lower flue temperature on top. Vermiculite is probably good to above 1200C, steel about 700C and I'm not sure about cast iron but probably not much more than steel.

What I wonder is why there is not more heat exchange surface above the baffle.

7 hours ago, Steven P said:

I guess with a steel plate you can have a shorter stove (slightly) or tsller fire box though. How thick would the vermiccile sheet tend to be?

The vermiculite board in my Burley is 25mm thick All the panels fit into a recess so are flush . The door glass is also double glased to help keep the fire box temp up .

2 hours ago, Peasgood said:

So modern logburners are designed to keep the heat in?

Hmmm.

:D

Yes . They are designed to keep a higher temp in the fire box and burn all the gases off the wood . It may take a few more minutes to feel the heat from a modern stove but once its up there it stays there longer . 

• Like 1

Yep, just look at the design.  The fire is contained in an insulated box of vermiculite sheets and air is fed through pipes that pre-heat it.  The heat mostly comes from the gasses heating the body of the burner.

The difference in radiated heat is really dramatic when you open the door as well showing how well the glass door actually keeps the heat in the fire.  I believe all this to keep the fire burning efficiently, especially when not running the burner hard.

• 1 year later...