Metal detector

Mr S

On 17/01/2020 at 07:25, Mike Hill said:

I am quite keen to buy a metal detector  for some fossicking,there were quite a few Viking settlements around where I live as well as an ancient road on my place.

What Detector would you recomend?

METALDETECTOREXPERT.UK

Whether you are a new to the world of metal detecting or you have been indulging in this hobby for quite some time the...

Four figure price so you need to be serious!  But paid for itself here.

I bought a cheap one off Amazon UK for £68 after I hit the two German tank shells. Half the time I can't be bothered to use it. I went to a job and got tangled up with a defunct telephone wire which went either side of a path. 4 metres of the stuff wrapped round the cutter head. I asked the client if he knew if there were any other cables, pipes etc in the garden. He suddenly remembered there was an electric cable from the gite to an above ground swimming pool. Got the detector out of the van,  found the cable, no problem and traced it to the box. However, I wondered why the cable had split and multiplied into several lines. Answer was, if you wear steel toe capped boots, don't swing the detector head over them.

After doing a lot of research for finding the right one for timber I got a c scope...I’ve used it about 2 times.
I have been asked to go out and detect some old settlements in the border myres where they found a lot of silver digging forestry ditches in the 70’s so waiting for decent weather... apparently there is the forerunner to haidrians wall nearby that is disputed but could be worth a look.